Wednesday, 28 October 2015

Remember, remember ...

For months, since my consultant appointment in July, I've had the 29th of October in my mind as my induction date.

This is because he said that he wouldn't let me go beyond 36 weeks pregnant. Every consultant has different ideas about when twins should be born and how. The 36 week deadline for me was based on a few things - mostly that my clones share a placenta and so there is a balance between wanting the babies to stay in long enough to be healthy when they come out and whipping them out before the placenta starts to deteriorate.

Turns out when he said I shouldn't go beyond 36 weeks that means anytime before 37 weeks.

When I went back last week for my final appointment we talked the nuts and bolts of delivery.

Firstly to decide how to give birth.

Much as I admire the women who want a natural childbirth with no pain relief I am not one of those women. And, throughout this pregnancy, conscious that twins can be early/ high risk/ unpredictable I have tried not to be wedded to one mode of delivery.  I want whatever is going to be safest.

The consultant and midwife asked the husband and I how we wanted the babies. We looked at each other. Surely they, the experts should tell us?

Nope.

So we asked what was safest for the babies.

There is no such thing as a risk free birth but there are two main complications that they'd worry about.

With a c-section the babies lungs don't get the final squeeze as they are pushed through my vag. So some liquid can remain in the lungs. There's a slim risk, but it is a risk.

With a vaginal birth the main issue is the distribution of blood. The worry is when twin one comes out and the umbilical cord is cut there can then be an uneven distribution of blood going to twin two (waiting patiently in the queue). Again, it's a risk but the Consultant was talking about a 5% chance.

So that didn't help our decision.

Next we asked which would be safest for me.

With this the consultant was unequivocal. Vaginal birth.

So that decided us.

"As long as", I asked timidly, "I can have an epidural."

"Absolutely"  the consultant whole heartedly agreed and with that he scribbled a few things in my notes and was off to his next patient, leaving the husband and I with the midwife to finalise the actual date for induction.

That was one of the most bizarre conversations I've had.

"So what day that week."

"Umm... "

The husband whipped out his phone like he was going to slot the birth in between meetings. Not surprisingly his diary was pretty clear that week - given we thought he'd be on paternity leave by then anyway.

So the midwife asked if there was a date we wanted their birthday to be, baring in mind that the birth was likely to happen the day after induction.

In the end we have decided on Wednesday the 4th of November. There are several reasons for this:

1) It pushes the birth back to right at the end of my 36th week giving the babies as much womb time as possible.
2) My in-laws are coming down on Saturday so they'll have a few days to get reacquainted with Olive and learn her routine before the husband and I go off to hospital leaving them in sole charge.
3) If I'm induced on the 4th the chances are they'll arrive on the 5th of November. That is Guy Fawkes night in the UK, which has an accompanying rhyme "`Remember, remember the 5th of November ..." So we figured it'd be easy to remember their birthdays.

So as easy as booking in a haircut (with a not very in demand stylist), I've got my induction date.

A week today.

Assuming the babies don't decide to put in an early appearance...








8 comments:

  1. Babies are notoriously difficult about conforming to schedules, so much luck with that! I hope it's all nice, safe, and predictable for everyone involved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read all about their arrivals!! Good luck! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're very wise to get an epidural! I was induced and ouch. Plus, if you do end up needing a c-section (which I did, 3 times!), you're already numbed and ready to go:) Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep your fingers crossed.
    I am a Gynecologist in India and running IVF hospital in India. To know more about you can make contact with me by visiting my website.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoping for a wonderful birth experience and healthy babies. Can't wait to hear all went well!
    kd

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!