Thursday, 15 October 2015

A Little Bump And Grind*

Being heavily pregnant invites comment. This doesn't bother me, after years of averting my eyes from pregnant women I find it a bit odd that people want to engage me in conversation about my impending motherhood, but I don't mind it. I mean it is an opportunity to talk about myself and who doesn't enjoy that?

This is how a typical conversation goes:
"You're pregnant" (To be fair I already know this so I don't feign shock but agree that yes I am).

Then I'll inevitably be asked either:
"Is it your first?"
or
"Do you know if it is a boy or a girl?"

To which I reply either "No it is my second ... and third"
or
"It is two girls - I'm having twins".

Once they've gone through the normal, "You are blessed, it is going to be hard work" bit I usually get:
"You don't look that big ... for twins"

I'm not exaggerating last week I was told every day that I wasn't do big for twins. This is by people who don't even know whether I'm 20 or 30 weeks pregnant (33 at that point) but I don't really know what folk expect a twin pregnancy to look like - arms and legs poking out of my belly?

I think I look pretty massive:



And the grind? No I'm not talking about sex - you lot are obsessed. I mean work. It has stopped.

I finished two weeks ago and have now had more pre-baby maternity leave that I ever did with Olive thanks to her being induced early due to my pre-ecclampsia. I am ridiculously lucky both living in the UK and working for the public sector that I can take a year off work without it being an issue (not all paid sadly but my job will be kept for me). So I haven't had to wait until the last moment before starting my maternity leave in order to get the most time with my babies.

I stopped work at 32 weeks. I didn't really know when would be best to finish and, in retrospect, maybe 30 weeks would have been more sensible as by the last week just walking the ten minutes from the station to the office was leaving me breathless and reaching my computer over my bump (it really doesn't feel that little) was a struggle.

Since finishing work I've managed to pack my hospital bag and most of the rest of my tasks have remained untouched. I'm mostly sleeping on days that Olive is in nursery and running waddling around after her on days she is not.

I'm also getting a bit forgetful. Call it baby-brain. So I forget to do things like reply to messages. This, it seems can induce panic in some of my friends I didn't reply to a Whatsapp group thing the other day. Panic, it seems, ensued and when I did reply they sent me a screen grab of their text conversation that made me laugh so much it did - almost - induce labour:





I can't promise guys, but should I go in to labour and can't type a response I'll try and send at least a red faced/ puffing emoticon to indicate just why I'm otherwise engaged.

But I am impressed they remembered that yes I should be induced on around the 29th (two weeks today) - I'm just waiting to be sent a letter with the exact date, apparently my hospital is quite booked up that week.

*This title is the first and will, hopefully, be the last time I ever quote R Kelly. But it seemed apt.





4 comments:

  1. I think you look fabulous! I mean, you're growing TWO humans inside you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. See! Points to Betty's message above - everyone is worried when you go quiet. And having seen you last week I must say you do look ALARMINGLY pregnant.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delighted to hear. I haven't checked in in ages but I was a regular reader back in the days when you are going through all the fertility treatment. Delighted to hear it has all worked out and you'll have 3 little ones.
    Of course you're tired, that body is working hard. Best of luck with the birth xx

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!