Sunday, 13 September 2015

29 Weeks

I keep having to tell my Dad and Step-Mother that no news is good news.

Having scans every two weeks doesn't generate the same level of excitement as two or possibly three precious opportunities to see your growing baby throughout a 'normal' pregnancy. So I keep forgetting to update them on the latest news.

And the latest news is brilliant, but dull. Namely that the babies (now at 29 weeks and three days) are both growing consistently well at at the same rate (there is a 9% difference in size) and my blood pressure - which was a sign of the pre-ecclampsia I had with Olive - is normal.

In many ways this pregnancy has felt easy. I've been tired. Knackered. But that's to be expected and I usually manage to sneak in a quick nap whilst the husband cooks supper once Olive is in bed.

I've also discovered the sick room at work. To anyone else it might look like a starkly lit box with a plastic bench in the corner, to me it is a place of ultimate sanctuary where I can sneak off to for a strategic fifteen minute nap and no one is any the wiser.

With (hopefully) six weeks and four days until the consultant wants the babies out and just three weeks left at work things are feeling manageable.

I'm getting excited about meeting the little blighters.

In fact the thing that is concerning me most is names.

Again.

And you know me I can't help but veer towards the names that have a punchline.

We've used the middle-name Frances with Olive which is lucky because otherwise Ivy F would definitely have still been in contention. One of my goddaughters is called Pheobe - which is helping me resist the temptation of using that name for twin two (Free-be, geddit?).

A mate once told me if he had twin girls he'd call them Beatrice and Tabitha. Nice names. But, obviously, Beer and Tabs for short. (If that doesn't translate across the ocean; Tabs are slang for cigarettes).

Naming one child is hard enough but when you need to name two it gets tricky.  I don't want names that match, but equally there has to be some kind of continuity. So I couldn't call, for example, one Clytemnestra and one Helen - because one is so unusual and long whilst the other is short and relatively normal - no offence any Helen's reading this.  (And if you get why I picked those two random names - award yourself an extra geek point).

And then you have to throw Olive into the mix. I'm not going to name these next two after plants/ trees or all three written down together would start to look like the index of a horticultural tome. And my sister made a valid point that all three should have different initials so that letters to Miss O. XXX don't cause confusion.

I thought I'd got it. Names that my husband and I both loved. They were of a similar length and vintage and worked well together without rhyming or being alliterations.

So I googled them.

Just to check.

Turns out an underwear brand stocked in a department store found in every town in the UK had come to the same conclusion. I'd now no sooner use those two names together than Dolce & Gabbana.

As tricky dilemmas go it is a fun one to have, and I can't help but scan the credits of every TV show for ideas. But we've yet to reach any conclusions.

Which is fine.

I've got plenty of time.

Gulp.





9 comments:

  1. Oooh, NAMES! MY FAVORITE!! (I remember delighting in your posts RE: Olive.) I will hold my tongue from inserting all sorts of unsolicited onomastic advice, other than to casually mention one of my research projects, which is FULL of names no one would ever want to name their 21st C baby.

    Have fun!

    Hmm, how about you and the Womb Mate? Is there any pattern in your two names? Maybe you could echo that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely give them the same number of middle names as Olive has. My sister still loans at my parents for failing to give her a middle name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you got me googling uk lingerie and I found Iris & Edie (had never heard of it before) so I'm guessing those are the ones which is such a shame as they are great names (was relieved to be able to cross off Marks and Spencer or La and Senza or Ann and Summer). So glad they are growing well and it's so exciting that they will be here next month!!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Wig - was wondering what they could be. V nice names - don't dismiss them completely. Think of the practical advantages to having their clothes already named. Otherwise glad to hear you are getting some zeds in. It's the best preparation... Gigi xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read a funny post on Instagram yesterday that said "If I had a twin that was like 5 mins younger than me I would always say 'when I was your age' and proceed to tell them what I did 5 mins ago":)
    I had 3 boys so I never got to use my girl names. There's a blogger who named her daughter Camilla and calls her Millie which I think is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much pressure, picking names! Your "suggestions" made me lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know why you're still working on this. Obviously, their names should be Gin and Vermouth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Every one that read my testimony i know that this are websites for comments and i don't want to abusive here or may be you think am here to make advert i just want to share this life experience with you all most of you might not believe in spell casting or think it evil which is never so that was what i also think at the first stage but when i get close to it i knew it never evil or bad even in the Bible there were spell caster who served God and also performs Miracle. just give it a little step of faith and things will change back for you. I really want to thank Dr Aluta for saving my marriage. My husband really treat me bad and left the home for almost 1 month, i was sick because of this and not my self any more so i told my friend about my husband situation then she told me to contact Dr Aluta a spell caster that he will help me bring back my husband then, i contacted him he told me that my husband is under a great spell of another woman. They cast a spell of return back of love on him, And he came back home for good and today we are happy family again. SHe helped me bring back my husband and i will want the world to contact him if you need any help here.(1) If you want your ex or divorce partner back.(2) if you always have bad dreams.(3) You want to be promoted in your office.(5) If you want a child spell or any disease you want it to get cured. you an reach him on his email traditionalspellhospital@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!