Monday, 29 June 2015

Endless Scans


I said before one of the benefits of IVF is those early pre-12 week scans that you get (and pay through the nose for). I can’t imagine the agony of having to wait until 12 weeks before knowing, for sure, there is a heart beat in there (or in my case two heartbeats.)

Twins, it turns out, is the gift that keeps on giving. 

I have hundreds of scans – and this time they are on the NHS so free. God, I love the NHS. I remember hearing Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes bought a scan machine so they could keep an eye on young Suri in situ. I bet even that didn’t give them the frequency of scan I have lined up.

I had my 12 week scan, then a 16 week one. On Wednesday I have an 18 week one and my schedule promises further scans every two weeks.

The downside of these scans is that they are there for a reason, not simply because everyone loves a twin and wants a peek.

My little dudes share a placenta. The possible complications relating to this is that they have one source of blood so are at risk of twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome, TTTS (yeah I noticed there aren't enough 'T's in the acronym too). Which basically means one hogs all the blood and they grow unevenly.  They can also take an uneven share of the placenta.

In addition having had pre-eclampsia last pregnancy they want to keep any eye on that (risk factors of pre-eclampsia are - having had it before, check; being over 35, yup; and having twins, uh-huh). 

So far it is all good though. The twins (the twins!!! shit, it still gets me) are almost exactly the same size  - 1.5% difference - and my blood pressure is good. Maybe I should be more concerned but I feel pretty confident in the care I am receiving. If things are going wrong I think they'll pick up on it quickly.

And, excitingly, it means that on Wednesday we should get to find out whether we are having girls or boys.

Which do you reckon they'll be?



7 comments:

  1. Eek finding out the gender, so exciting! I hope things continue to go well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the twins are sharing so well, what good kids. I have been getting excited about you finding out about the gender too....of course I'm slightly (very) biased and I think having 3 girls is about as perfect as you could get and I know you are one of rather nifty set of 3 wonderful women yourself....so I'm kind of hoping for that for you. I do think it would be very cool to witness the energy of little twin boys with their cheeky faces and tufts of hair. It's a tough one but I'll go with guessing girls. Good luck with the scan and either way it's just so exciting! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boys. But only on the basis the others say girls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. TTTS is a scary thing, will not share the story you do not need to hear again after knowing it exists. Glad to hear the are the same size!! Hope you get to enjoy as few scans as necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to go with girls, only because I've heard statistically more identical twins are female:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going with the underdog - I bet they're unicorns!

    Glad to hear they're keeping pace - I hope they maintain it. No TTTS or any other acronym!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah twins. Amazing! I've follwed you for so many years and have never commented but having had twins myself last year after 4 years of infertility and effentually effective ivf, I wanted to congratulate you and also say a few things...
    Most people were excited and lovely but some were very negative and almost seemed to want to scare me. I've found that nothing had been anywhere near as hard as people liked to make out. I feel truly blessed to have two babies, hearing them giggle together and watching them sucking eachothers fingers and stroking eachothers arms whilst they're feeding is so special.
    Breastfeeding is totally possible,manageable (if you choose) and you can eat more chocolate than Cadburys can produce and get skinny at the same time (live the dream!!)
    I've been having the dilemma of whether to ever use my frosties - I've got 9- and have a third child but two sets of twins might test my enthusiasm!
    I wish you and your family the very best of luck. You've so much fun ahead x

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!