Sunday, 17 August 2014

It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Ages ago I was approach by a journalist asking if she could pitch my baby-making story to a magazine. Yeah, I thought, not really expecting anything to come of it - I mean "woman has baby through IVF" isn't as compelling a headline as it would have been 35 years ago.

Then it got picked up and I was told a photographer would come round to my house. This took me back a bit as I realised my anonymity would be gone but then I looked at the photographer's website, and she was amazing. Who wouldn't relish the opportunity to be photographed by the same person who'd snapped Stephen Fry, Jarvis Cocker and James McAvoy? Besides, I was never going to book a family photoshoot (despite the photography studios on my road having some amazing props, like golden thrones, and scenery backdrops - hmmm, I think I might have just talked myself into it) and so this was my opportunity to get some professional pics.

The photoshoot happened in January, and then nothing.

Until today.

Holy shit! I got a full page photo.

In The Telegraph.



No chance of hiding that then.

So, regular readers: Hi, that is what my face looks like.

Folk who read the article and decided to pop over to have a look at the blog: Nice of you to come past, there is years of stuff on this blog so if you want to read more I suggest you cut through the dross and just click on the Highlights link to the left.

Relatives who found out about the blog through reading the article: ummm ... yeah. Please don't read the sex bits?

Old acquaintances who saw my massive pic and thought "Wow. She looks like that girl I went to school with": This is why I stopped using facebook - too many baby pics. But congratulations on your broods.

I feel a bit sick.

Be gentle with me.







14 comments:

  1. Don't worry, Liz, I know you must feel a bit naked and Out There but your blog is charming and funny and never mean. See also: no negative commentary on relatives or colleagues. It'll just take a little getting used to. All will be well, for reals.

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I doubt too many people will be looking all that closely at you when there's an armful of CUTE BABY!! to look at instead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd just like to clarify that when I said earlier 'THAT'S AN AWFUL PICTURE OF YOU!' I meant because it doesn't look anything like you. I mean, the head does but not the hips.

    I was worried on the way home.

    And yes, lovely one of O.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute picture! I'm sure all will be ok in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You 2 are so adorable!! I will not be doing any of that. *pulls cloak of anonymity ever so close*

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look darling, the piece is delightful and I'm glad that all three of you (six, if you include your daughters) were willing to be out there to raise awareness of what some folks have to do in order to build their lovely families.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, congrats on the article, that's pretty cool! I think it's great when we can share our stories to help others! Lovely picture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww! Look how adorable you two are! Congrats on the article!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why is it you get offered the telegraph and I just get offfered the sun? The sun got turned down. Congratulations on the article, it is a really brave thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations, Liz, you both look lovely and adorable! Just one question: why is this that I see a giant thumb instead of your arm on Olive's back? Is it just my old woman vision, my computer or is it really a giant thumb?

    ReplyDelete
  11. How bizarre. I've read your blog for ages, it's supported me through my own 5-year battle to become a mother (thank you!!), and now a I realise I've met you in real life. I think. It must be you. I think we live in the same corner of London, and our children are of the same age. I must've seen you in some baby activity. So weird. I'll come and say hi next time.

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!