Tuesday, 1 January 2013

Changes are afoot


I can now say with more confidence than I have felt for the past six years, next Christmas will be different.

In previous years I've hoped that difference will be a baby. For a very short while it looked like 2012 might be that year, or at least a Christmas where I would be waddling around four days overdue.

Next year however things will definately be different. Whether there will be a baby it is too early to tell. One thing I know for sure is we won't be in the same flat that I have lived in for the last eight years.

I told you we were selling our flat and buying a house. Well, we are halfway there. We move out of our flat on the fourth of January. The house purchase however, not so much.

It has been an incredibly stressful few weeks and two weeks ago it became apparent that the house we wanted to buy wasn't really for sale. (Long story, but from agreeing to rent it for a couple of months between selling ours and actually buying the house it turned out the sellers wouldn't give any kind of date by which time the house would be ours, and after months of changing stories we got to the point that we didn't trust them to ever sell.)

The upshot is we pulled out of  the purchase so are moving into my sister's house for a week and then a rented flat whilst we try to find somewhere else to buy.

After eight years in this flat it does feel time to move on but with just a few days to go I am starting to go dewey-eyed about what we are leaving behind.

It was the first place the husband and I bought together, we got engaged in the pub opposite, got married up the road, moved the dog in, even put up shelves (with the help of my Dad).

Oddly enough it is the memories that haven't happened here that also haunt me. The spare room has never become a nursery. I always thought this would be a good place to have a baby - it is small enough to not need a baby alarm and there are no perilous stairs for inquisitive children to fall down. I won't take junior to the local play park where I see other parents when I take the dog for a walk. My child will miss out on the mothers and babies music group in the theatre opposite.

Still maybe next year I can make some real memories.

Happy New Year all of you, I hope 2013 is the source of some wonderful memories for you as well.



12 comments:

  1. Good luck with the move! Our movers come tomorrow at 8:00am to start packing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have high hopes for change and new memories this year for you. You are making room for all new memories. I have to confess how much it hurt to leave our house where I imagine all sorts of wonderful things, only to have some if those wonderful things come to pass in a place I could neve have imagined. So long 2012, be good to WWAV 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird auto correct, sorry. WFI = WWAV. Ugh.

      Delete
  3. What is wrong with people? Also, how do things work over there? We all sign contracts to sell, and most sellers are too afraid of being sued to pull out of a contract. I suppose it's just kind of annoying to find a new place to live in the interim, as long as you get any downpayment or earnest money back. I hope that the change is a good thing for you and your husband...and that you find an even more perfect home and neighborhood.

    Happy 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really sorry to hear about the house purchase falling through. What is it with people? SO WEIRD and RUDE. I hope the halfway rental is nice and the whole thing is not as much of a pain in the arse as it might seem and is in fact a blessing in disguise and leads you to your ideal home in which you are truly happy, as you deserve to be, which is a long sentence, but in other words:

    A very happy new year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very Happy New Year to you. SO sorry about your house troubles..really what is wrong with people? It is so hard to leave behind memories, but you are going to create wonderful new ones in your new abode. Heres to a happy,healthy and wonderful 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ugh. the worst. the same thing happened to us last year, we found a house that we loved but the sellers never really were that serious about looking for someplace to move (darn English chain system) so we waited around for months and months. Here's hoping that things work out as well for you as they eventually did for us...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog is so nice and your blog topics is so important by Health...
    medicine
    medical answers

    ReplyDelete
  8. It brings tears to my eyes with thoughts of the 'missing memories'. But, I wish all this change will add to the eventual success, and memories in abundance

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck! I hope the new home is wonderful and allows you to build many wonderful new memories!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really hope you're in your new home Soon to start new memories, we sold our house last september because we were moving country and in a way i was relieved because
    It was a big house, big enough for children, near the right school etc, But sadly no kids. we are currently on our 5th ivf journey so hopefully new memories in 2013 !
    This is my first time reading this blog andi have read almost every post you have made WFI and it makes me realise how so many others have the same crazy thoughts i have,
    fantastic blog keep on writing !!!
    And best of luck in your ivf exploits this yr

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really hope you're in your new home Soon to start new memories, we sold our house last september because we were moving country and in a way i was relieved because
    It was a big house, big enough for children, near the right school etc, But sadly no kids. we are currently on our 5th ivf journey so hopefully new memories in 2013 !
    This is my first time reading this blog andi have read almost every post you have made WFI and it makes me realise how so many others have the same crazy thoughts i have,
    fantastic blog keep on writing !!!
    And best of luck in your ivf exploits this yr

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!