Friday, 8 June 2012

And I'm back

The holiday was exactly what I needed.

We went to Italy.

From a standing start of not having drunk alcohol for most of this year I plunged headlong into vats of red wine. Always intending not to drink tomorrow, but as we know tomorrow never comes, and neither did any abstinence on my part.

I made a point of eating previously forbidden foods -  cured meat, soft cheeses, shellfish ...



I loved almost everything about Turin. It is a town where there is an ice-cream shop on every corner. Where you are as likely to see two middle aged businessmen or stick-thin, smartly-dressed elderly ladies tucking into an ice cream on the street as a child.

There is, perhaps, an over reliance on white jeans. Which has convinced me that - despite the ice-cream - Italians clearly don't have cellulite, eat messily or have periods. Other than the jeans aberration sartorially they are clearly superior to us Brits.  Inspired by the couple below I spent a while trying to convince the husband that, in our dotage, we should dress alike.


He wasn't convinced.

And, whilst it might well be a concern for the Italians, the declining birth rate in the country meant that I wasn't subjected to as many pregnant women as I would have been in London, which was a relief. As was not waking up to bouts of morning sickness. Whilst I welcomed morning sickness before, after it was just a cruel taunt.  However that doesn't mean I forgot the events leading up to the holiday, it would have been difficult to forget even if I didn't bleed and cramp throughout our time away. We had time to talk about our plans for the rewritten future - we didn't talk about what should have been but about our choices now. I am not sure we reached many definite conclusions but at least we have worked through a number of different scenarios and agree on the different outcomes.

I am afraid there will be more angst-ridden posts as I work through how I feel about it all. I find writing these things down help - why else would I have started a blog? But for now I'll leave you with proof that despite leaving the country we didn't have a completely bunting-free break:





14 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that your holiday was a welcome respite from the crap you've been dealing with at home. God bless your husband for nixing the matching outfits- he's a smart man!

    Angst is good sometimes, too, though. If you can't vent, bitch and moan here, where can you?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back, glad that you got to indulge and I agree, the husband made a smart move with the disdain for his/hers white jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no need to reach definite conclusions in Italy. I'm pretty sure my husband (who is Italian) rarely reaches definite conclusions. And he has no cellulite and does not eat sloppily. There's something wrong with that. But, fortunately for my sense of aesthetics, he does not wear white jeans.

    I've never been to Turin. Looks like I need to go there someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back, I'm so glad you drank vats of red wine-- very good for the heart and just plain fun. The food looked fantastic and I am insanely jealous as I have not been abroad in 3 years unless you count Canada and I don't. Bring on the angst! That's what we are here to do--support and validate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your ability to work through the crap is inspiring. I would love to see Italy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back. Red wine and fine dining, ahh, how I miss Italy. I'm glad it helped.

    (MY husband and I have matching waterproofs. Which makes it COLOSSALLY unfair that he looks vaguely rugged and handsome in his and I look like a Teletubby in mine).

    Many hugs. And, yeah, the suckage, it persisteth, alas and bugger and damn, and hurrah for red wine ANYWAY.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaah, Italy and gelato, how perfect. (I always forget you guys are in the midst of summer until I see photos with people wearing things like white jeans!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aaah, Italy and gelato, how perfect. (I always forget you guys are in the midst of summer until I see photos with people wearing things like white jeans!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. white pants should be banned. For everyone.

    For those that can't wear them and for those that can and just taunt us mere mortals.

    Vats of red wine sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you had a good holiday, Liz (even if the other dogged your steps). You needed it and deserved it, and I think vats of red wine are exactly what the doctor ordered. (Well, this doctor, anyway, the one without the medical degree).

    Blogging was a life preserver for me after loss. It helps tremendously to get it out, even if the getting out happens in many variations, repeatedly, and in a circular or crab-walk pattern. And we are all ears (and virtual shoulders, as well).

    (PS: I've spent the past week nearly drowning in bunting...my God...I told my husband he is not allowed to complain ever again about the prevalence of American flags after we return).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Turin, I liked it too. And I think you and husband would be most fetching all decked out in matching Aran knits so get over to Ireland, soonest.
    Blogging is exactly for these dark times, it's true. I know I found it hugely helpful to externalise and know people who really understood were listening - great people, whom I admired enormously.

    We are here. Lots of hugs, bud.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Turin, I liked it too. And I think you and husband would be most fetching all decked out in matching Aran knits so get over to Ireland, soonest.
    Blogging is exactly for these dark times, it's true. I know I found it hugely helpful to externalise and know people who really understood were listening - great people, whom I admired enormously.

    We are here. Lots of hugs, bud.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you had a great time. All those forbidden foods look so good. Some soft cheese sounds so good right now. Nice that you got to talk about your future plans and work through things.

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!