Sunday, 27 May 2012

A Public Service Announcement

Physical recovery from Friday's operation has been relatively smooth.

I had to have a midnight feast on Friday night/ Saturday morning to line my stomach before necking some hardcore painkillers, but other than that the pain has been no worse than normal period cramping.

Emotionally it is tough, I am looking forward to not waking up at 5am every morning and finding myself thinking. Thoughts are overrated.

But back to the bodily recovery. I was given an advice sheet on my exit from hospital telling me what I could and could not do and it was all pretty much as expected.

I wasn't allowed to drive, drink alcohol or sign any legal documents (so that has put the divorce on hold for at least a little while).

I flagrantly ignored the advice to: "Be careful when using electrical appliances as your coordination and reactions may be affected" which I assume is why I am losing every Words With Friends game I am currently playing on my phone.

I was delighted to read that I was to: "Avoid lifting, straining and strenuous exercise for 2 weeks" as we'd offered to help a mate move from his top floor flat on Saturday. It gave me an excellent excuse for loitering in the kitchen wrapping glasses in newspaper whilst the husband lugged heavy boxes down six flights of stairs on one of the hottest days of the year so far.

There was, however, one rather disturbing bit of advice around preventing infection. It said:
"For the first 2 weeks (or until bleeding has stopped) avoid sexual intercourse (if you cannot avoid this, please use a condom)."

Ladies, ladies, ladies if you 'cannot avoid sexual intercourse' go to the police; No means No!

(And if you really can't control yourself and your libido remains unaffected by recent events then you can be more creative than just bunging a condom on his old chap and crossing your fingers that you don't get an infection.)




12 comments:

  1. 'if you cannot avoid this?'. That's just bizarre! Seriously.

    Glad the physical recovery isn't so bad. I wish the emotional one was easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine that comment is mostly for women in abusive relationships, as it is not as simple as just going to the police for them; though they might be able to persuade their abuser to wear a condom. Sad that it has to be said:(

    Glad to hear things went ok and you're back on your feet. Be sure to get Husband to do all the hoovering and making of tea, as well, just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad it went as well as could be expected.

    Just keep an eye on yourself - my surgeon warned me i'd have a hormone crash c. 3-5 days after the op. I found myself completely uncontrollably crying all of one day and had written it off to general misery, then realised the misery was indeed compounded by hormones.

    I also got agonising pain about 5 days later which apparently is also normal - make sure you've got lots of pain killers.

    And I think you did the right thing. Natural Schmatural. We wouldn't have a 70% cure rate for childhood leukemia without chemo, and that's not natural. Medical procedures are there for a reason. And i've not seen any evidence that chances of conception after an ERPC are any higher than after a natural miscarriage.

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One fun thing I've experienced for the last 6 weeks post miscarriage D and C is nearly continuous bleeding/spotting. Dr says its normal- may partly be due to the new birth control pills she gave me. I'm going to switch them soon. Just a note in case this happens to you.. Hopefully it won't. If it does, talk to your dr anyway because of course it's a big problem if you have a fever or some other symptoms of infection etc

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are always able to find the absurd sign of everything, aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a public service, at least for me, since my "procedure" is this coming week unless my body starts on its own tomorrow. I am awake thinking all the time too. I've frankly thought quite enough but apparently my subconscious doesn't think so.

    I hope that you begin to heal soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Take care!

    Moira

    ReplyDelete
  8. My physical recovery took really only two or three days - hopefully you'll heal as quickly. The emotional part (blindingly obvious statement alert!)is more complicated, but you are a great human being with a mighty spirit, not to mention possessed of tremendous determination for your plans for the future, all of which bodes very well.

    ("Cannot avoid sexual intercourse" - might indeed need to be reworded. Brr! Chiiiilling.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there - I've been a terrible reader these days. After catching up on the roller coaster that you've clearly been on - I just wanted to say I'm so, so very sorry. Hoping that your travels gave you some time to mourn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How are you doing today? Thinking is definitely overrated, I try not to at all times.
    Just wanted to say I'm thinking of you. Pain is also overrated so take regular painkillers.
    Praying that you feel better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I confess, jumping on the husband wasn't exactly at the forefront of my mind. I hope you're doing ok. I'm in London on 10th June and would love to meet up for a cuppa.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Liz, I just read your last many posts, having had my head up my arse for the last month or so (feel free to read my last post if you feel like it--no pressure--but I don't want to dump on you here). Just want to tell you that I'm so fucking sorry you've had to deal with all this. You WILL have your full-term pregnancy and your take-home baby/ies. I'm just heartbroken for you that these babies were not they. Take good care. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!