Thursday, 12 April 2012

Taxi!

I've never been quite sure how much exercise to do in a two-week post-IVF wait.

The rational part of me says that hundreds of women get pregnant daily without even knowing it, still going to their weekly aerobics class (do women even do aerobics any more or is it all about Zumba and Shaolin Kung Fu?), and go on to have a perfectly healthy pregnancy. Therefore it shouldn't really matter how much exercise I do.

But since when was a woman who on a daily basis shoves two pills and two vials of goo up her vag, complemented by four oral pills and rounded off with a bum jab, rational?

My Doctor doesn't advocate three days of horizontal lounging for the days after IVF, but suggests I take it easy for a few days and then resume an almost normal life, but nothing too vigorous - like the gym, swimming or cycling.

The first two, not a problem, giving up cycling is a bit more of an issue.

Although I've not changed jobs I have moved offices since my last IVF and, in order to scurry back at lunch time to walk our mutt I have taken to cycling the ten minute journey rather than walking 25 minutes. A 10 minute cycle there and back gives me forty minutes of a lunch hour at home to give the dog a brief stroll and shovel some food down.

The first five days after the frozen embryo transfer were pretty easy going, I meandered no further than a 15 minute walk from home. But then Easter ended and I went back to work.

The dog still needs to empty himself at lunch time, and as I am not to keen on coming home to a shitpit I still have to come home midday to ensure that he empties himself outside not in. (The Husband, unfortunately, works too far away to come home every lunchtime.)

I had a bit of a dilemma, do I cycle - and possibly put my little embryos in jeopardy - or not, and risk my floorboards? Then the husband came up with a plan that goes against every fibre of being, but I have to admit quite a smart one...

Get a cab home, and back to work, at lunch time.

I've told you before about how I hate to spend money on a bus, let alone a cab. But grudgingly I have to admit that the five pounds home and five back (a tenner a day) starts to seem pretty good value when I think what I have spent on the drugs, the freezing, the intralipid, the ICSI and the countless other processes that I've gone through to try and make this IVF a success.

(But I am still going to reimburse myself from the joint account, so it doesn't feel quite like spending my own money.)



18 comments:

  1. Oh yes, definitely the joint account. It was clearly his idea, after all. :) (It is a good idea, though)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is all about regret management, in my book. well worth ten pounds a day, painful as that is. Hang in there.

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally worth every penny- regret is a nasty beast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the taxi is a great idea. I hate to spend money when I don't have to, but I know for me I always think about how I would process a pregnancy that didn't work out if I felt like I had not done everything I could to help it work. It might be painful to part with the money but I would say that in comparison to the cost of doubting if your action contributed to a failed IVF that tenner a day is a steal. Of course, I have every faith you won't have to worry about it in the end because those embys are snuggling in :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely worth the 10 a day. Hoping those embryos are enjoying the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whatever it takes...sending lots of good thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What?? The husband suggesting you get a taxi? How incredibly out of character! (you see what he's doing here don't you? He's using this as an opportunity to lull you into his taxi-loving ways...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spend the tenner on a dog walker and then you get to spend lunchtime interwebbing...!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even all the way from the land of the bikes, the taxi was the right move.

    Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a taxi might be money well spent :) But I've been told that it's more about not getting your heart rate up too high or over-heating... so could you just do a gentle ride ? FXd for your 2WW xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mo's right: do what makes you feel better, and what you know you won't regret later. I miss black cabs so much - enjoy! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good idea! Yes- take care of those embies!

    ReplyDelete
  13. To be honest I doubt it could make a difference but like Mo said it's really about how you'd feel about it. Taxi away!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was told after our first transfer with project sibling to keep living my normal life and we know what a screw up that cycle ended up being so imo £10 a day isn't all that much for peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I understand, Womb. I am the same, with the taxis. It's as if I think it's a gateway to Out of Control Spending, or something, and I'll end up in Terrible Terrible Debt. My family will cut me off, my husband will scarper.. etc, etc. You know.

    Having said that, I have written a clause which says that Women who have had IVF are exempt from the above-mentioned risk of homelessness, poverty and so on. So: TAAAAXI!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hoping you are well. xx
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that you have "your" account and the joint accoutn. We do the same and I am like you...I hold tight to all that I can...but in this case...I agree with the hubs...the taxi is a fair expense in light of what you have been through to date. Enjoy the ride and the dog will be happy too.
    kd

    ReplyDelete
  18. Easily, the article is actually the best topic on this registry related issue. I fit in with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your next updates. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates. Taxi Bristol to Heathrow Airport

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!