Sunday, 15 April 2012

Tagged

I'm pretty rubbish at responding to tags, awards and wotnot. Often it is because they come when I am in the middle of IVF and have enough to write about as it is, or because I'm not doing IVF and it feels a bit forced to do a tag when I really don't have much to say. But occasionally one hits the sweet spot, like now when I am three days from official IVF test day and my head is all over the place so answering a few Q&As seems like a good distraction.

So thank you Mrs Rochester of Its Gonna Happen fame, who incidentally had a frozen embryo transfer on the same day as me and is now pregnant! (Her clinic is much more speedy when it comes to blood tests than mine.)

1. What is your all-time favorite food?
Pimientos de Padron (little green fried Spanish chillies) are right up there.

2. If you went to college, what was your major?
Joint Honours in Ancient History and Classical Archaeology. I can't tell you how useful that has been in my daily life since I graduated. I literally cannot tell you.

3. If you could change one thing about your physical appearance, what would it be?
I have mousey beige hair so already dye it (when I'm not having IVF) so I guess that qualifies.

4. Beach or mountains?
Mountains, partly because if I want my pasty Scottish husband to come away with me that is my only choice but also I'm not big on beach lounging.

5. What is your favorite color?
Default answer as a kid was blue (because I didn't want to be one of those pink-obsessed girls) so I guess that is true today. Not that you'll see much evidence of it in my house or wardrobe.

6. How tall are you?
A towering five foot five inches.

7. If you could go any one place in the world (money is not a factor) where would you choose to go?
I've always fancied checking out Japan. In cherry blossom season.

8. Who is the biggest role model in your life?
I don't have one. I admire lots of people for different things, but we are all flawed humans. (Present company excepted, naturally.)

9. When you die, how do you want to be remembered?
As the woman who invented that thing that changed all our lives for the better, bought world peace and halted global warming.

10. Do you have a favorite quote? If so, what is it?

Ford: "It's unpleasantly like being drunk."
Arthur: "What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
Ford: "You ask a glass of water."

From, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

(The husband imperiously informs me that this isn't a quote as more than one person is saying it. I say it is a quote from a book, and my blog, my rules.)

11. Make up your own question! : One for you guys answer in the comments : What lie did your parents tell you (either to keep you in line or for their own amusement), and you believed for years, when you were little?

My dad told me he didn't like chocolate and only ate Aeros because he liked the air. 



19 comments:

  1. I'm not your role model? Hmph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it would embarrass you and arouse your husband if I said you were.

      Delete
  2. My parents told me that in order for TV programmes /films to record dream sequences, they used to put a camera in the actors' ears and down to their brains..... I believed this for years - right up to Bobby Ewing's shower scene in Dallas, when I was 11. Can't figure out which was worse - I believed it until I was 11 or I was allowed watch Dallas at that age....

    Meanwhile - arousing Granine's husband? Oh er mrs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! That's my favorite quote, too! That and, "No matter where you go, there you are."

    The only lie my parents told me was, "We did the best we could" which was BS. Mothers don't leave their daughters to "find themselves." At least once she got her life together (and finally found a better man), she made up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the Audio version of Hitchhiker's Guide and listen to it regularly. I prefer the original BBC version, tho, as I grew up with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all the things about you... and have always wanted to go to Japan too :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS. (sorry - hit publish too quickly)... good luck for your test day... FXd for you and thinking of you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother told me that premarital sex was not fun. In context, it wasn't really a lie. I also didn't believe her for a minute! But it's funny to recall.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck on test day!!!! My dad used to bring me a "special balloon" back for me when he went on business trips. Yeah it was a condom that he'd blow up and let me play with. Wrong on so many levels, didn't figure it out for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't remember any lie right now, but I do remember one I told my daughter who is 5. She asked: When you and Daddy got married, was that the first time you guys kissed? And I said: Yes! Of course!
    Shame on me! lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love reading these things and learning more about you. Good luck with test day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't remember lies other than the normal "Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy" tales. But my neighbor always told me that if I swallowed a watermelon seed it would grow in my belly....that freaked me out for awhile. That same neighbor (very good friend...like a 2nd mom) also told me that in order for a plane to take off...you have to lift your feet on take off. I am almost 45 years old and have travelled a lot and to this day....I HAVE to lift my feet on take off! I just feel like I will Jinx myself if I don't and I KNOW that little tale is not true!
    karaleen

    ReplyDelete
  12. whenever there was bunting decorating a town we were driving through I was told it was because they knew we were coming (I remember being told years later that it wasn't true and saying 'really, are you sure?? ...because I think I'm that important!!!). The tooth fairy wrote me letters and gave me locks from her hair (my barbie's hair!). My grandad had a donkey that he'd just managed to train to live on nothing when it died... There were lots!
    Good Luck today xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thinking of you today....
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thinking about you today and hoping like hell there's some good news later on :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Biggest lie my parents told me was the year they got married - so I wouldn't twig that I was 8 months old at the time. They kept it up until I was 17! Really really hoping its good news today xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thinking of you today,

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Also thinking of you today, fingers crossed...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thinking of you today and hoping that you're to busy celebrating to update your blog...

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!