Monday, 23 April 2012

Finding out

Every single time I have had IVF or IUI I've had a sneaking suspicion it has worked. Every time, until this one. When I knew it hadn’t.

 Deciding when to test was tricky. Too early and I might get a false negative. But I had the advantage of knowing that, as it was a frozen cycle, there was no chance of a trigger shot remaining in my system to tease me with a false positive.

 On Friday night the husband and I lay in bed as I set out, in minute detail, why I thought I should test on Saturday rather than Sunday. My reasoning was impeccable but it basically came down to one thing. It hadn’t worked and I wanted to get it over and done with quickly.

 The husband was lovely. He reminded me that we still had three frozen (robot) babies and that this wasn’t the end. He made me promise to wake him up when I went to test. “I’ll wake you when I have the result” I assured him, knowing full well of my habit of waking up at four thirty in the morning on a test day. “No, before you go to the loo.”

 I agreed, and then cursed the fact at 4:30am, 4:45am, 5am, 5:20am when despite my eagerness to get it over and done with I thought it was a bit out of line to wake him quite so early. At 6am on the dot I shook him awake and then sped to the bathroom.

 I weed on the stick and without glancing at it ran back to the bedroom, put it on the side and flung myself on the husband. I’ll confess, I don’t even remember washing my hands.

We lay there in the dark for a couple of minutes before I determined it was time. I hugged him and did that exhale type breathing that you do when you are about to jump into a freezing swimming pool. “We can try again” the husband assured me.

 I knew the answer, I reached to see the test with the same result I’d seen every other test I’d ever taken, I switched the side light on and

 “HOLY SHIT!” (I genuinely don’t think I have ever said “holy shit” in my life before.)

 The husband and I just looked at each other in total amazement.

 And that, was how I found out I was pregnant.



45 comments:

  1. What a lovely story. I have never taken a HPT and had it be positive--after the first BFN I let the clInic do the dirty work, which made for one very suprising phone call!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you have more will power than anyone else I've heard of.

      Delete
  2. What did Moon say?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he just let out a congratulatory fart and went back to sleep.

      Delete
    2. Gosh, sounds just like ours!

      Delete
  3. I love it! I had a similar reaction... lol. Congratulations! What an awesome story :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful story. Btw, what was the wombmate's reaction when you told her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She didn't believe me at first and told me I'd tested far too early until I did the maths for her. 5 day embryo plus 10 days after transfer = 15 days.

      Delete
  5. wonderful story. thank you for sharing!

    mo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was so hoping for this for you. I am so pleased. I know what it is like to dare not to hope too much. Your news has cheered me up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you put the kettle on afterwards? Nothing like a cuppa to make sense of it all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just tuning in after being away. Aaaah! You are pregnant! That is SO AWESOME!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is way too early in the morning but great story anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sniff! What a GREAT STORY! It just brings tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why have you waited to say Holy Shit? It's one of my favorite phrases!

    (Also, I believe it was very forbearing of you to wait until 6. I think he owes you for that.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful story :) I'm so so happy for you... great news :)) xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. A BIG CONGRATS to you!! What a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So thrilled for you! Your story made me cry! It was the same way when we got our positive -- I was so sure the transfer didn't take that I spent the entire day sobbing! Then at night, I figured I had nothing to lose, so I took a cheapie test and imagined a second line (I had to use a LOT of imagination!) But since I thought I saw something, I decided to pull out the expensive test and a clear second line immediately showed up. I cupped my hand over my mouth in amazement and couldn't stop saying "Oh, my God!" for several minutes. It was the happiest and most surprised I've ever been!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely!!! I smiled to imagine you lying there for an hour and a half till you could wake your husband. A bit like being a kid waiting to get up for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm gobsmacked that you said "Holy Shit" ... surely "Holy Piss" would have been more appropriate ;)


    (I am still grinning like a fool over here ... so SO happy for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, that's awesome! Congratulations again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's the most amazing feeling and it's so so wonderful that you felt it!!! Does it feel odd saying I'm pregnant?

    Such a lovely story. So so so so happy for you both!!!!!!

    Moira

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wooooooooo! I absolutely love that!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry I am messing around with your comments... I am half awake and pressing all sorts of wrong keys... What I said was that that's fabulous news!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is just so cool! Such an exciting moment to relive. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. i have tears in my eyes, and though i would like to blame it on the hormones i don't start stims for another week... i just know what this means when you try for so long. once again, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That sounds just like our story. Such an amazing feeling isn't it! Like winning the lottery but better.

    ReplyDelete
  25. congratulations!!! I am really happy for you, the story brought tears to my eyes! awww so exciting :))

    much love to you both! and Moon!
    Nika xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Unbelievably excited for you two (soon three!). Everything crossable is crossed and I'm sending all the luck I can your way. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fantastic story - wishing you guys a happy and healthy 9 months. Steph

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing! Had goosebumps after reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great story & Congratulations! I also had an early morning OMG with hubby when we got our BFP. It was magical in a way I never would have thought standing in my bathroom with a stick covered in pee could possibly be.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awesome story! I am so excited for you! Cheers to a smooth pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Holy shit I just gasped reading this! Never met ya a day in my life but I am so happy for you!! Giuliana and one of my favorite bloggers both having babies. Good day indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  32. After reading this I've just done the stereotypical women jumping around screaming her head off! I'm so pleased for you! I'm looking forward to your scan results :-D

    ReplyDelete
  33. God, that's beautiful. So glad. You deserved it. (And how.)

    ReplyDelete
  34. YAY!! Congrats, such awesome news :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hahaha! Love it! It just happens that I said precisely the same thing upon getting the positive test that resulted in our daughter. I was so convinced it would be negative (again) that my husband had gone outside for a cigarette rather than wait for the result. :-)

    I'm so glad for you and look forward to your outcome being as cute as mine.

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!