Thursday, 5 April 2012

Embryo Transfer number 4 - In and Out

Yesterday was the quickest embryo transfer ever. I arrived at 14:00 and was in theatre by 14:18 - I almost didn't have time to pull my lucky socks on (this time they have form as the Womb Mate wore them for her last IVF).

I still had to lie, legs spread, (neatly waxed) muff out, whilst various medical professionals traipsed around asking me obsessively my name and date of birth and getting me to check that the frozen babies were ours.

Three times, by the doctor, nurse and embryologist, I was told that the doors were locked and they were very sorry that I had to lie exposed but only the people who were absolutely necessary were there. This is my fourth time, I wouldn't care if there was a whole theatre of medical students enjoying the view.

The Doctor talked through what he was doing as he inserted the catheter with the embryos in them.

We saw this:



I know, if you squint a bit and put your mind to it you can almost imagine you can see a baby. You can't.

At this point the husband leant over and stage whispered to me "This our fourth time and I still have no clue what I am looking at."

So the Doctor explained, in agonising detail. I say agonising because bear in mind as he is talking the husband through everything I am lying there winched open, with a scanner being firmly pressed against my over full bladder. If I shed a small tear at this point it wasn't because of the emotional experience.

He said he couldn't tell from an external scan exactly how thick the womb lining was but declared it "nice and fluffy".

This is what we are looking at:


The air bubble is at the end of the catheter and shows where the embryos have been placed.  Talking of which, here they are:

These are the two ICSI blastocysts which were frozen on day 5. The assisted hatching was done this morning, one was straight out of the blocks the other one is still getting its bearings so hasn't quite come out of its shell.

So this is it.

Now, we wait.



34 comments:

  1. Great photos! Congratulations on getting through your fourth transfer like pros. Fingers crossed that we get to see a whole lot more of them ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. But...but... I CAN'T WAIT!!! Let's hope the lucky socks do the trick. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for the two robots returning to the mothership! Boooo for the next two weeks of waiting. Which dvd boxsets do you have planned for your weekend of couch surfing? Are you going back to work next week or are you staying at home for whole time?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am excited that this is under way. Hello gorgeous womb genes, what a lovely place you've been given. Hang out, dig in, and make yourselves at home for a good long while. Rent is pre-paid, and your gracious hosts have waited ages to entertain, so sticking around will be well worth your while.

    It will be a party like no other, little dudes. You can count on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waiting sucks. How long do we have to wait?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, they are beautiful! I hope you're telling them how lucky they are to be placed in such an awesome womb. Fingers crossed for the fastest and most productive two weeks ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for pointing everything out because, yeah, who could tell?!

    Go little ones! Stick in there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like it went like clockwork. Muff-out, bits-out-in-the-world clockwork, but clockwork nonetheless. And I can imagine a baby in that ultrasound photo, as it happens. And I'm hoping for a nice before/after montage in your very near future.

    In case you are home, lying low: more poochiness. I can't quite describe this one. It's too weird. But also weirdly wonderful:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7f5v94PH4ss

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great looking embies! Take it easy the next couple days!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "muff out".

    Lovely pics, let's hope there's more to come when they're a bit older xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice embies! NOW stick!!!!! And good for you waxing, I'm lucky if I've managed shave sometime in the week prior.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful little robot embryos - time to make yourselves at home in there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hoping the 2ww is not too excruciating, and that there is a two-pink-line rainbow at the end!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome. Looks like a great transfer and those are some good looking blasts...better looking than my frozen cycle and we got a bouncing baby girl out of it! :)
    So excited for the next 10 days for you...I know the waiting SUCKS!!! But I added you as a words with friends buddy....so feel free to play along to pass the time.
    Congrats on a smooth transfer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Praying and sending baby dust. I truly, truly, truly hope your baby is there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful blasts!!! Sending all of my positive thoughts your way. May this be it!!!

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  17. YAY! They look beautiful! Congrats on transfer #4! Get to work implanting now babies! Get to it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely looking blasts, will be keeping my fingers crossed x

    ReplyDelete
  19. AH! yay!!! so glad to have a buddy:) And I DO see the baby (I have an ultrasound degree) lol. Its nice to know what you are looking at and when a nurse has absolutely no idea what she is talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sandy in Florida5 April 2012 at 19:20

    Fingers crossed, arms crossed, legs crossed, toes crossed - Come one lucky socks.

    I've been following you since 2008, I need closure. Lol.

    Now we wait....

    ReplyDelete
  21. So so so excited. And, to keep you occupied, I started a wwf game with you (I'm slphillipsnyc) Good luck with the ice robots!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Best of luck - I hope this is it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. just beautiful, enjoy your rest and have a lovely Easter xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fxd for your 2WW... thinking of you and your gorgeous embies :)) Love how you get lots of pictures... wish our place did that :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. All the best- I hope you have great news to share in the not too distant future.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just wanted to say good luck and great pics! Far better than my clinic where they just shove 'em up and send you on your way with a smack on the rump.....OK I made up the bit about a smack on the rump but no scan to accompany ET for me.

    Got everything crossed for you, would love to play mindless games as Im laid up with tonsillitus and bored out of my skull but I have a BB so dont think its compatible. Boo rubbish!

    lots of love
    Mags x x x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fantastic! Sending positive vibes, prayers and baby dust! Steph

    ReplyDelete
  28. Excellent! Now to rest!

    Fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm sending you super positive Aussie vibes across the seas ... xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. I thought that tiny white dot was the embryos, but wasn't sure what anything else was!

    Speaking of the embryos, those blasts look fantastic! Here's to the "turtle" coming out of its shell, and the hare sticking around!

    ReplyDelete
  31. That's awesome!!! The embryos look great! Stick, baby, stick!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Come on little ones, dig in deep!! Keeping everything crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!