Saturday, 3 March 2012

Highland Retreat

My sleeper train fantasy had been mainly fueled by heavy exposure to Agatha Christie. Unfortunately there were no brass fittings or oak paneling on the Calendonian London-to-Inverness Sleeper. On the plus side there were no murders (as far as I am aware).

The cabin was tiny.


So we repaired to the bar, where I got very overexcited (and I hope not too vocal) on seeing a proper train spotter clutching his well-thumbed volume of "Rail Times" like a bible. We decided that alcohol was the best insurance for a good nights sleep so applied ourselves rigorously to the task. It sort of worked, on the one hand the gentle rocking motion helped lull us to sleep, but on the other hand uncoupling the train at four in the morning where it diverted to different sides of Scotland prevented us sleeping right through.

Dawn, in the highlands, from a train, was well worth the slightly shabby nights sleep and was a good hangover cure.



We wanted remote and we got it.



We didn't do much for the two days we were there. A bit of walking and a touch of quiet contemplation in front of a log fire.



I didn't get to see a wild haggis, but I found the next best thing, a Pushmi-pullyu which I'd always thought were extinct.



After a couple of days in the Highlands we had twenty four hours in Edinburgh. We managed to cram in a pub crawl of our old haunts, as well as treating ourselves to a posh dinner at a place we could never afford as students.

Now, with the holiday over it is time to gear up for the frozen embryo transfer. First though my insides will be getting a thorough inspection on the 16th when I have my womb scrape. I'm not entirely sure what the Doctors will see during the operation but I suspect my barren landscape won't be a pretty as this one.







10 comments:

  1. What beautiful pictures! I am so jealous of your trip. I absolutely adore the pushmi-pullyu! I have always wanted to see a jackalope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely jealous, especially the train bit, tiny cabin and all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful trip - longing for a bit of remoteness myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you got to see one mystical creature. I can't believe you didn't see the haggis though.

    Looks like a lovely trip...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So did you join the half mile long club?

    The photos look gorgeous. I've been to Edinburgh once and loved it. So jealous of your trip there.

    Best of luck with the next round. I'll be keeping an eye on you.

    It's against company policy for me to post comments on blogs from a work pc, hence my commenting activity has died a death in the past eighteen months. Like they actually expect us to work for our salaries. Pffft.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane, always lovely to hear from you. Whether you comment infrequently or not. We contemplated joining the club. Looked at the teeny, tiny beds and got changed into our jim-jams for a good (solitary) nights sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Was thinking you wouldn't get a fair run at the kama sutra in that cabin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful - you are bringing me back to a trip I took with my husband about 5 years ago. The Highlands are so gorgeous, they don't even look real. Sounds like a great way to spend some QT before you start your FET. Looking forward to following you, and I really really hope this is the one for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a lovely trip... very relaxing :)) FXd for your procedure and then transfer xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did actually ask the husband if he had ever seen a pushmi-pullyu in the wild before. "It looks like some kind of deer," I said. He had a good laugh over that.

    I'm glad you had a good time - the photos are lovely.

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!