Friday, 10 February 2012

Who do you think of when I say cryogenically frozen?

Did you think of Walt Disney?

Never let it be said that I write this blog without conducting rigorous in-depth research. Suffice to say that it is no coincidence that I didn’t post on the 18th of January – when Wikipedia did its blackout.

Unfortunately it means I have just had to scrap a fascinating* discourse linking my now frozen embryos with the most famous cryogenically preserved man on earth – Walt Disney – because it turns out he wasn’t ever frozen. It is one of those urban myths. Which also means, should I get pregnant with this IVF, I am going to have to cast my name-net further than Walt for a boy or Snow White for a girl.

But back up a bit you don’t need to know which of the seven remaining embryos were frozen, you want to know how many reached blastocyst, two as of today (it was Happy and Doc if you were interested). That isn’t the quite the end of the story – Sleepy might yet pull its finger out and turn blastocyst, Bashful could still come out of its shell (with assisted hatching), Grumpy could shake off its mood and come good, Sneezy might recover enough to turn blastocyst. And Dopey, well I don’t hold out much hope for Dopey.

The embryologist is going to call me tomorrow to let me know if any of these remain embryos have pulled through to blast for a six day freeze.

In the meantime it is good to know that assuming the defrost goes well I should have at least two blastocysts ready to be transferred in April. And it disney** get much better than that.

*Not fascinating

**disney, like ‘does not’ but in a Scottish accent.

Hello?

Is this thing on?


15 comments:

  1. hahaha loved the seven dwarves analogy, and the scottish part will always make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it's on all right! :-) Two so far, that is good. Come on you at the back, off to work you go!

    I am lapping up the Disney jokes. Industry people like to say Walt is lying in suspended animation. Hah!
    Groan.

    (I just remembered I had a dream about you and your husband last night. He was saying he wasn't Scottish at all. And I was all outraged and kept thinking, but you ARE Scottish. Thank you, subconscious, for that piece of complete weirdness. God knows what it'll be tonight, after the frozen Disney references.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny...I just posted about Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. Hoping for good news tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news about the two. Fingers and everything else crossed that the other little dwarves keep going and growing (even if a bit of assistance is needed for Bashful - bless). x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for the first two and sending good thoughts to the rest of the dwarves!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY!!! Hoping all but dopey get there butts in gear and freeze nicely.

    SO excited and thanks for the good laugh... "disney" better than that...and when I read it the first time I had the scottish accent even before your explanation :)

    Good luck and hoping April gets here soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well if you would stop making those dwarves work in the mines all day, maybe they'd have a chance to grow faster. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You could also make Ted Williams jokes, but baseball isn't as cute as Disney.

    Don't forget to tip your waitress!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought of futurama but that says more about my husbands television watching habits than anything else.

    I'm really hoping a couple of those get their butts into gear and make it to freeze tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two blasts is great and hopefully Dopey, Sleepy and Happy will join them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two definite blasts is awesome, and I have high hopes for the remaining dwarfs! We had several mature overnight and declare themselves on Day 6. Fingers crossed!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My path to work was blocked Wednesday morning by a truck that specialized in cryogenics. I thought it was so strange and neat, I called my husband, and that's what I thought of when I saw your post title. I wish I had taken a photo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi... looks like we're cycle together again :)) Great that you have some little ones to freeze :) Good luck for your cycle and great to be cycling with you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great news - well done on the Blastocysts!

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!