Tuesday, 7 February 2012

When to Freeze

And then there were eight. Or maybe nine if the embryo which is “really trying to split into two cells” pushes on through.

Of the remaining embryos my best contenders are 3 embryos that are at the 4-cell stage and are “excellent” quality, one 4-cell remains average. I have a good 5-cell, two excellent 2-cell sized munchkins and a good 3-cell embryo.

For those of you asking about how long they are waiting to transfer, it’ll be in about two months. The whole focus on this IVF is to get the embryos ready and then cryogenically suspended whilst the Doctors get onto tricky issue of my womb lining. It is only when this is plumped, primed and ready for a long term inhabitant they they’ll defrost this week’s crop and attempt implantation.

The question now is when will they freeze what they have. The embryologist today was really keen on waiting until the little ones are five days old and reached Blastocyst before freezing. The logic is that if they reach blasts they are strong little blighters and are more likely to implant and with a wealth of 8 to choose from why not let a few more fall by the wayside in the hopes of identifying the best of the bunch.

My weak little counter argument was “but what if none of them get that far?”

So the embryologist has agreed to review my embryos from the last three rounds (I mean they have this wealth of data it would be a shame not to learn anything from it) see whether this is the best approach. I suspect she is humouring me, but that is fine as long as I feel like someone is listening to me it is better than being dismissed out of hand.

Tomorrow would be the earliest they’d freeze anything anyway. So we shall see.


12 comments:

  1. 8! 8 is good! Keep growing, 8 little embryos. Liz needs lots to freeze!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad all is still nicely on track.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see 8 are still going - that's terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can hunt me down and strangle me if I end up being wrong, but I think you'll be pregnant in two months' time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eight is a fab number. And, the blastocyst stage is a great goal. You'll have so many to choose from, you will be pregnant in no time! I just know it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crossing all fingers and toes for you....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know it's really tough to wait and see what makes it to blast but it's so worth it my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eight is a nice number. Come on all of you!

    Fingers very very crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have followed your journey through at least two of the IVF rounds - and am nervous and excited for you. Really really hoping that THIS IS IT! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eight is a great number to start with. Here's hoping as many as possible make it to blast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you have a great team of professionals in your corner.

    I really think freezing and waiting is such a good idea. Our bodies are so messed up from ER. Do everything you can to get your body ready for pregnancy which is physically hard and exhausting, you'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 8 is great! Didn't appreciate when I commented yesterday that you are looking to freeze all and get your womb lining in tip top shape. Really hope that this new approach does the job. Keeping everything crossed as always x

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!