Sunday, 5 February 2012

Egg Collection: IVF #4

This morning I awoke to a blanket of snow covering London. I say blanket, it was thinish layer - more of a sheet - but in the UK that doesn't matter.  We have a particular talent in this country for shutting down every available means of transport in a flat panic at the first snowflake.

It isn't a problem for me getting to the clinic, I walk there. However, I had no idea where my Doctors, nurses and anaesthetists are coming from and as I slippped my way to the clinic I was petrified I'd turn up to a locked shop and all my lovely eggs would go to waste.

The receptionist was there when we arrived and as she took us down to the ward I, just casually, asked "Anyone had any problems getting in this morning?". She said "No". Phew.

I felt like an old hand in the ward as I breezed my way through the anaesthetists questions, hell I am a veteran. You don't get to do this four times without knowing the score. So when the Anesthetist ask me if I knew what to expect I said. "Yeah, you'll take me through and we'll have a bit of inane chatter whilst the anaesthetic takes hold."  "Oh are you a bit of a chatterbox?" She asked. Shit, too blasé I'd been talking about the level of the anaesthetist's chat not mine, "Oh ... er ... yeah" I stumbled, not wanting to piss off the woman about to put me under. (Her chat mainly focussed on the weather and travel - I stand vindicated!)

But you don't want to know about this, the main thing is did my egg yeild live up to the promise.

Oh yes.

And more.

Twenty-nine eggs.

TWENTY-NINE!

I'll find out how many fertilise tomorrow (half are getting the normal IVF treatment, half fertilsed by injecting a sperm into an egg - ICSI).

This feels like the best possible start to a round. I really hope it lives up to its promise.



22 comments:

  1. 29! Sounds like the beginning of something great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, 29!! That is fantastic...look forward to hearing a great fertilization report!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 29 is amazing! Hope they all fertilize and most of them grow into something worth freezing! Much luck...

    I hate the inane chatter...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo!! 29!!! An excellent start!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, good Lord, TWENTY-NINE. No wonder you felt lopsided and uncomfortable. Go on, eggs. Be excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy 29, Batgirl! That's a beautiful number. Makes me very hopeful on your behalf. I think the half ICSI and half regular fertilization is going to be telling. Not to mention helpful. You're sure to get a greater yield of fertilized embryos out of it. Just think, at this very moment those little cells are multiplying their hearts out (not hearts...nucleii?).

    Crossing fingers for the fertilization report. This has begun wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Great stuff! Best wishes for all the next stages.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a promising ending to episode 1 of IVF Season 4. This means you can have a proper drink to celebrate?

    G xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. 29?! Good grief! No wonder you were feeling a little bloated...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - that's fantastic!!! Can't wait to hear how many fertilise - fingers crossed you get lots of lovely embryos.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That is excellent, although quite a lot to be carrying around- no wonder you were feeling it! Hope that you get many little embroyos.

    On a side note- half on ICSI? I have just been escalated up to IVF (from iui) and we are jumping straight to ICSI (husbands swimmers perfectly normal) and I was not sure whether it had become standard, judging by this, no. Would be interested to hear the justification as to why people do or don't use this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 29?? 29! What a fabulous number start with. Fingers crossed for an excellent fertilization report!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! That is amazing! Do you have the option of doing pre-implantation genetic testing? (Just asking because we had to do that & your chances of ending up pregnant are so much higher if you know you've put in healthy embryos!) Keeping you in my prayers - I do have a good feeling about this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Twenty-nine! Wow.. Well done!
    Put your feet up after that you must be exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Twenty-nine! Wow.. Well done!
    Put your feet up after that you must be exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 29, that is incredible! Hope you are feeling a bit more comfortable round the middle now. Go, eggs, do your bit now, you good eggs! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. 29?! GO Team LIZ! Hope you've got a little softball team going and dividing in there!
    I'm glad they are doing half normal fertilization and half ICSI...my RE always did all ICSI as it generally yielded better results (for her clinic #'s naturally). So excited to hear the fertilization report!!!
    You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. 29 - Jeezo lady!! we did 50/50 split it worked really well for us. Now go relax, make sure to drink your gatorade to keep OHSS away!

    I can't wait to hear how things progress from here!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Speaking of snow, you might appreciate this essay: http://www.themorningnews.org/article/the-age-of-mechanical-reproduction

    Fingers crossed for the IVF.

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW, that is phenomenal!!!! Good luck, I can't wait to hear your next report!

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!