Sunday, 20 November 2011

Mindful

I went for my final mesmerism hypnosis session on Thursday.

When I started these sessions I didn't know what to expect. I knew that it wouldn't be like the stage acts when I'd be convinced that I was a chicken every time I heard the theme tune to Eastenders (well, I was 60% sure that wouldn't happen).

I went originally because I wanted to be more positive about this IVF - it's is a pretty miserable thing to go through if you have decided from the outset that it isn't going to work.

I suppose if you'd asked me what I expected I would have assumed that there would be a bit of mind programming going on. A sort of "When you hear the words IVF you are going to feel infused with joy and excitement." And "The sight of a speculum will make you weak at the knees".

It wasn't like that.

Instead it was more like teaching you deep relaxation techniques - and giving you something to think about whilst you are under. The hypnotherapist talks continually, giving you scenarios and expecting you to fill in the gaps. I went to a beach; a beautiful verdant garden (what could that be an analogy for?!); my mind's control room (turning the womb lining up to the max); an infinity pool.

I also learnt how to do self-hypnosis at home. For some of these sessions I used the same scenarios as those she'd suggested.  But I mixed it up a bit. On the advice of a friend pregnant with IVF twins I have also been visualising what is going on in my womb.

This is how it breaks down:


5-Day Transfer

Days Past
Transfer (DPT)
Embryo Development
OneThe blastocyst begins to hatch out of its shell
TwoThe blastocyst continues to hatch out of its shell and begins to attach itself to the uterus
ThreeThe blastocyst attaches deeper into the uterine lining, beginning implantation
FourImplantation continues
FiveImplantation is complete, cells that will eventually become the placenta and fetus have begun to develop
SixHuman chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) starts to enter the blood stream
SevenFetal development continues and hCG continues to be secreted
EightFetal development continues and hCG continues to be secreted
NineLevels of hCG are now high enough to detect a pregnancy


(Taken from NYU Fertility Center website.)

I've also been concentrating on the 'Stay' meditation to keep those embryos in their rightful place, which has an unfortunate side effect of making me break out into one of two songs: 'Stay' by Shakespear's Sister and that seminal 1994 Christmas number one, 'Stay Another Day' by East 17. (The latter song in particular starts to sound more and more profound everytime I sing it, who knew the words were so deeply embedded in my psyche?)

But I think it is working. I do feel very positive about this round. I've no symptoms or reason for feeling like that, and we'll see in eight days whether that confidence is misplaced or not.

So what can I conclude? Hypnosis helps with positivity and gives you terrible taste in music.



12 comments:

  1. Yes! STAAAAY, PLEEEEEAAASE.

    (I have a horrible mash-up of Stay songs on the brain now. Sttttaaay now! But for my buddy, W4I this, and more.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're feeling positive! Maybe I need to search out a hypotherapist for my upcoming FET...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stay. Implant deeply. Flourish.

    I did some hypnosis therapy too and the relaxation techniques are very good. Who knew that breathing could do so much? Another thing I was told to do? To envision the outcome: the actual child. That was scary. Very scary. Strips the heart naked (as if it weren't already).

    But for every action a reaction. And positivity has a way of causing some very positive reactions. And I hope it lasts a good nine months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stay little ones, stay.

    Thinking of you and hoping the next 8 days pass easily and with little stress and with great positivity. That may not be a word. But I really don't care. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stay, stay, stay! Thinking of you and sending more positive vibes from across the pond. Sorry I have been so absent, life is really busy. I have been folliowing along though and wishing the best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting...I'm glad to hear hypnosis is working, if perhaps in a different way than one expects. It's good you are feeling positive and I hope it lasts until you get your (fingers crossed) strong beta!

    ReplyDelete
  7. After my IVF transfer, I didn't have any symptoms really for at least a month. The only one I can think of was cramping, which obviously freaked me out! It wasn't until well into month 2 that I got my nausea and headaches and exhaustion! This will work dear, I feel it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shakespeare's Sister - haven't thought of them for a looooong time!

    Go little embryos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great idea :)) I find that C&B meditations help so much with staying calm... makes a huge difference :) Hope your little ones are going to stay forever xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been humming a mash up of both 'stay' songs mentioned all day. My husband would like to pass on his thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just thinking about you today and hoping you were feeling more positive about this cycle than you did the last. So glad you are! Sending more positive vibes your way!! Keep it up! And burrow deeper embies!!! FX!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you are feeling positive.

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!