Monday, 7 November 2011

Fertilisation Report: IVF #3

The problem with getting an impressive haul of 18 eggs is that you hope for an equally impressive fertilisation report.

I got that last IVF when I had 18 eggs and 12 fertilised.

This IVF however the report isn't so dramatic:

Just eight fertilised

Of the remainder:

  • three were immature
  • two fertilised abnormally
  • five did nothing. 


Despite the initial gut kick of hearing the numbers, I'm not too upset by this.  Eight is still a pretty good number, the embryologist has still got something to play with.

He is going to see how far he can take them towards blastocyst and then, on the day appointed for transfer, I'll go in and have a scan to check whether my womb lining has thickened up enough for implantation.

It will be then, and only then, that they'll decide whether to go ahead with the transfer or try to freeze what they have.

Which is quite nerve-wracking.



18 comments:

  1. Keep the faith-those 8 just need to be grow. I'm psyched that you have those and am keeping my fingers crossed that those are going to grow, grow grow! Don't let the numbers get you down-there are plenty to grow and possibly a few to freeze. Thinking of you and sending you positive thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crossing my fingers that those 8 are growing and progressing just as they should!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eight sounds like a great number. Sending hope that they keep developing well and your lining is ready to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eight rock stars!!! Keeping my everything crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, your eggs are really keeping all of us on the edges of our seats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. *Carefully readjusts herself on the tenterhooks and resumes bating her breath.*

    ReplyDelete
  7. It only takes one good egg, so 8 is great! Fingers and toes crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eight is great! I understand that gut check when the fert report isn't what you'd like to see. But, those eight are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eight awesome eggies and a possible transfer because your lining has thickened up? Phenomenal :) I shall be crossing all appendages for you W4I.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eight is fantastic. Go embryos! Divide! Conquer! (Also, go lining!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eight is a great number!!! Keep growing lil ones!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 8 is still awesome, I'm hoping that everything works our and you get to have a transfer with one of those eight embies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know exactly how you feel... my first IVF I had a very similar egg retrieval then even lower fertilisation rate, but was told that it was still good... so yours is great :)) My understanding is that 8 is above average... but you're right, a high retrieval leaves us feeling so much more hopeful. FXd for you lining... hoping you have a transfer this cycle - might be similar day to me :)) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Blimey, cliffhanger! Fingers completely and utterly crossed. Also thinking powerful, growing sort of thoughts, for good measure.

    You better on the other front, I hope, too?

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh the waiting!!! Keeping my fingers crossed and you in my thoughts and prayers....I hope things go well...

    ReplyDelete
  16. 8 is a lucky number in china or so I've heard. Hope it's a very lucky number for you! Thinking of you , your womb lining and embryos and keeping everything crossed. X

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!