Monday, 26 September 2011

Pretty In Pink

Breast Cancer research and awareness is a cause close to my heart, and I am not talking about anatomical proximity. Some of you who have been reading a while might remember this post, about my Mum, who died of Breast Cancer when the wombmate and I were 15 and our big sister was 17.

She was 35 when she first found a lump, the same age I am now.  Needless to say I check myself regularly, a task the husband is always enthusiastic to partake in.

She died in 1992 - almost twenty years later I can’t write that without crying.

Since then treatment has got better and better but with 130 new cases of breast cancer being diagnosed each DAY in the UK alone there is still a long way to go before the C-word is met with anything but dread.

The 28th of October is Wear It Pink day. Whether it is a touch of pink on the or going the full Barbara Cartland, thousands of people across the UK will be getting dressed up and donating £2 each to The Breast Cancer Campaign for the privilege.

I won’t be.

For two reasons:
1)    I don’t own any pink clothes – a serious oversight I know.
2)    My office colleagues are notoriously difficult to persuade to join in - Red Nose Day, Jeans for Genes, Halloween all go unrecognised by our attire.

Instead I am going to tap their wallets in a different way. Chocolate brownies with pink icing at 50p a pop and pink meringues at 20p should extract a healthy sum for the campaign.

But you totally should Wear It Pink - and be part of the cure.

**This is a sponsored post, although proceeds are going straight back to the Breast Cancer Campaign**

http://www.wearitpink.co.uk



8 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you lost your mom at such a young age. I know the pain of that nasty disease since also my mom died from it.

    Thanks for posting the link. I didn't know about this specific day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your sisters were so young to lose your mum. Horrible, horrible disease.

    Pink chocolate brownies - now who wouldn't get on board with that idea?

    Yeah.
    I'm hungry now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear that you lost your mom when you were so young. I lost my dad at 14, so kind of get it.

    What you are doing sounds awesome. And if I was (a) closer and (b) not fat, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear that your mom suffered breast cancer. I'm sorry that you lost her when you were all so young.

    Wish I were near to eat your whole supply of brownies...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huge Hugs.
    ...and will be partaking in lots of worthy pinkness here too.
    XA

    ReplyDelete
  6. just wanted to send a hug and to pledge my support xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wrote a post about how pink is a heinous color for me but that I was thinking about you, your sisters and your mom on the 28th. Last week. Which makes me something of an idiot who can't read a calendar. And so I will be thinking of you THIS month on the 28th.

    Ahem.

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!