Thursday, 14 July 2011

The Decision

Happy Birthday to me
Happy Birthday to me
Happy Birthday dear Lizzie (this is the only time anyone over the age of 3 is allowed to add an "ie" to the end of my name)
And Happy Birthday to the Wombmate too.

I have just met with my boss, hot on the heels of his meeting with his boss.

"I discussed your request" he said, "and of course..."

I waited with baited breath.

'Of course' what?

'Of course it is impossible to grant this request'?

'Of course if it was just up to me I'd say yes'?

'Of course you realise it would be completely inappropriate'?

But he didn't add anything else. and it slowly dawned on me that he just meant:

Can I have the time off?
 "Of course!"

It isn't quite as straightforward as it seems.  I still have to submit a formal request to Human Resources, and the pair of us need to carefully work out the best dates.  But they've said yes and that isn't about to change.

It is unlikely to have a dramatic effect on the outcome.  Recent studies have shown that stress during IVF doesn't have an impact.

But it will help me.

It will be easier to go through the whole process again knowing that I don't have to hope that I won't get summoned for an unscheduled blood test during an important meeting, or drag my aching ovaries from site to site when I'd rather be chilling on the sofa, or concentrating on the sales cycle when all I am interested in is my cycle.

Happy Birthday indeed!


30 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday and HOORAY for 'of course'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very very happy birthday Liz!

    And: PHEW. This is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birfday Liz! I hope the coming year brings you your heart's desire (and ditto to the wombmate)!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES!

    Happy birthday to you and the Wombmate! :) X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to you and the Wombmate. What wonderful news that you get the time off. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday to you both; what a wonderful gift! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday and great news!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday! What a fabulous birthday gift. I'm praying for you and a successful IVF.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It will help you. It helped me enormously, even before we knew the outcome. Happy birthday, Lizzie:) you've just given yourself the best present possible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! And happy, happy birthday to you (and your wombmate)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful news. Happy Birthday indeed =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Best gift ever! I wonder how I can work that for my birthday gift next year... Oh well, I've got lots of time to plan.

    Happy Birthday to you and the Wombmate!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday and WWWWOOOOoHHHHHOOOOO!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday!!!!!!!

    Whew...what a relief that things went well with your request for time off.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice birthday present!

    Happy birthday, dear girl, to you and your wombmate, and oh, wishing so hard that this is the year both of you Get What You Deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday! I'm so glad that your request was approved! I know how much fear and uneasiness comes with asking for time off and some understanding. You've endured so much more than I did - I broke before I even took on IVF. You're a wonder. I'm so glad that you'll have the time off that you so deserve!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fab news, I'm so pleased!
    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday, hooray for birthday wishes coming true, not let the "big" wishes play out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy birthday!
    So pleased your boss said yes! I have yet to speak to mine as he is on holiday for next few weeks
    x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Quite a nice birthday present to you, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  21. a great birthday present!!! Happy birthday I hope your celebration was a success!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  23. So nice to see that the Universe does listen sometimes...
    Happy Birthday to You!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yayyy for you! Happy Birthday...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Birthday! What a wonderful workplace!!!!!!!! I remember wishing with everything I had htat I could take off some time even for IUIs. It was so hard to get to all my appts, and I was talking crazy with some crazy hormones. I imagine it will be so much less stressful for you now!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Belated happy birthday and great news on the time off!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy Birthday to both of you! And yay for of course! I hope, against the statistics, that it does help.

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!