Tuesday, 12 July 2011

Another Wait

I handed The Letter to the boss last Thursday morning.  My instinct was to shove it under his door at three minutes to home-time and run.

The husband, however, loves nothing more than to force me to do things I don't want to do in the belief that they are character forming. You know the sort of thing: phoning up for taxis, complaining in shops, going up tall buildings, blow jobs... He told me that I needed to hand the letter to my boss in person and explain why I was doing so.

Before I had even sat down and handed my boss the ominously sealed envelop I was gabbling away with an apology, practically retracting what I had written in my letter. "Well, I've asked for six weeks but, you know, if that is too long four weeks would be fine".

I was actually shaking. I have no idea why. I'm not in the slightest bit scared of my boss.

Eventually I calmed down enough to explain what I was asking for, and why.

This isn't a decision that can be made overnight, I knew that, so he asked if it was alright if I didn't get an answer until next week.

"Fine, fine" I acquiesced hastily. Only a week! Man, this is the first time during this whole infertility gubbins that I haven't had a minimum of a two week wait.

So now I'm waiting.  I've checked his diary (like you wouldn't!) and he hasn't scheduled any extra-ordinary meetings with people who wield the power of unpaid leave. But he does have a meeting with his boss on Thursday. So I am kind of hoping that he will raise it then.

Which might mean I get an answer then.

Thursday also happens to be my 35th birthday. (Excuse me one moment *runs down corridor, screams, runs back, acts normal*).

On Thursday I have invited both my boss, and his boss, out for celebratory birthday drinks after work (along with other people - I'm not that much of a creep). So if they turn down my request that could make for a particularly frosty atmosphere in the pub. I hasten to add that I invited them before I decided to request the leave.

Now all I have to remember:

  • If they say "No," don't get drunk and abusive
  • If they say "Yes," don't get drunk and tell them I love them. 

Life was much simpler when I was cycling and therefore not getting drunk.


24 comments:

  1. You did it! Good for you. And such a paltry wait ahead! Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! You are a rock star!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for you for handing him the letter in person! Don't you love how husbands push us to be even more perfect than we already are?! I am pretty sure he just has to run it by his boss (or through HR) regardless, this will probably be the best wait you have in a while. Whatever you do, don't get drunk and have crazy mad adultress sex with him and get pregnant with his child once he gives you the go ahead. That wouldn't be good. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The real trick is to get the bosses drunk, so that they end up offering to give you the time off as compassionate paid leave!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brave lady. Very brave. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did only I notice the 'blow jobs' part? Hahaha

    Hope you get the answer you're waiting for. If not, get pissed and tell them to fuck off! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah you handed the letter over!

    I've every faith you'll get the answer you're seeking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on taking such a brave (and necessary) step! I'm sure they will give you the leave. I laughed so hard at your reminders to self at the end of the post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! My husband also likes to teach me lessons about character building... I, like you, would have gone the route of putting it under his door and running like hell, but kudos to you for being brave :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats about taking the first step. And, my hubby is exactly the same way! I would have run like he'll!! Wishing you lots of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck, sweetheart. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Character buildng my ass...it's just plain torture!!! I'm proud of you for seeing it through!! You have more "character" than I could ever muster!! Good luck and I hope you get good news!!! Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for you! It will be great if you can have the break :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good job! Your boss sounds great in that he didn't act like a jerk when you handed it to him. (Can you tell I have had many bad bosses?)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is so hard going to anyone and admitting you need their help sometimes, but your bosses and to let them in on something so personal is very difficult. I hope they realize you need this and grant you privilege!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. First, TheSheila has the best advice!

    Second, your husband sounds just like mine. Especially the part about blow jobs.

    Third, best of luck and Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. First, happy early birthday from one who is freaking out about my own advancing age next month.

    Second, good luck. I really hope they give you the time off for this.

    Third, good on you for speaking to your boss about the situation. I haven't had the balls to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're my hero, well done. (I think we can safely say your character is of skyscraper proportions now, it's so built.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Teeheehee....blow jobs too funny! I think taking time off while trying to concieve is really immportant (especially if you have a stressful job) I did before my FET and really believe it made all the difference. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is *amazing* that you are taking time off to concentrate on your next cycle. I am sure it will work out with the bosses. So so sorry that you are having to even deal with the thought of another cycle. I know the disappointment too well. But taking control of what you can (work!) is a great thing.

    As I write this it's offically Thursday morning in the UK, so HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Eat lots of cake (chocolate preferable) and drink that night away!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good on you, Liz. I hope you hear back soon, and you get exactly what you've requested. XX

    ReplyDelete
  22. I asked my boss for 4 weeks of unpaid sick leave recently (he and his wife have just had their first bub, product of IVF Round 5) and he was awesome.
    Then, he promptly resigned and I had to go and have the conversation all over again WITH THE NATIONAL CEO.

    Now, they've all said yes 'in principle', but have yet to lock down dates. And as the year spins faster and faster I lose my nerve to cement the time off.

    So, I tip my hat to you for putting it in writing. That's what I should have done. Congrats.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  23. You have great self confidence! You can do anything!
    Thank you Letters

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good day! Were you somehow able to fulfill all the settings of your site by yourself or you needed some extra help?

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!