Saturday, 18 June 2011

Random Folk

What do the following people have in common?

My flatmate from University
An ex-colleague
My ex-boyfriend's wife's boss
An Australian ex-pat living in London

Give up?

All of them have successfully got pregnant, through IVF, in London.

And all of them have been very generous with their advice and recommendations.  I'm not going to go into detail about their advice, if anyone is going to get sued for libel here then it had better be me.

However, what this has done is given me lots of things to think about whilst I research a new clinic.

The clinic where I have been going so far, which combines private and NHS patients gets glowing reviews. And I am sure they are brilliant and doubtless have fantastic statistics. However, I also feel they have had their chance with me, and I'd rather take my eggs out of that particular basket and put them all in another.

If nothing else it will psychologically feel as though I am trying something different.

Those of you who commented on my last post that I was going for the next round of IVF pretty quickly, I'm not. I do want a break, I need a bit of time, if for no other reason than I need the bruises on my stomach to heal before I start creating a whole host of new ones.

However, that doesn't mean I can't do a spot of research in the meantime and start to formulate a plan.



12 comments:

  1. Definitely. It's good to exert some control where you can, specially in this situation where it is so limited in other respects. Go with your instinct, I reckon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it! I found that changing clinics did help me feel like we were trying something new. Plus it worked! I hope the same for you. Enjoy your break and take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Planning ahead is a great thing. And, I hope the change is THE thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apparently the ARGC in London is good and has great results but quite pricy I think. My friend highly recommends it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just back from holiday and wanted to let you know that I'm so sorry about the last IVF round. Sending lots of support over the pond your way. I am also 150% supportive of thinking about next steps. It has (and is) helping me cope. A fresh outlook...a new chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Planning is good - once you're paying for it, you want to get the most for your money. Much luck with your research.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So aside from all the research, have you got any "treat yourself" plans for the time off?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely. A new day, a new doctor, a new approach etc. I changed my IVF doctor about two years ago. I had given up on my last one. But my new one has tried slightly different things, as well as having a more positive approach. All up, I'm glad I've made the move - hope you will be too.

    In the meantime, I hope you get to go on holiday somewhere lovely where you can get some sun on your bones and pamper yourself with all the things we aren't allowed when trying to conceive ie: alcohol, raw stuff, seafood (if you like it) etc.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do have one that I can recommend (quite highly) which is just outside of London. Great success rates. The consultant isn't someone that you'll want to wrap in a bear hug if you succeed, but it's honestly an excellent clinic. Regardless, I agree that shifting the egg basket is good. Clean break and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are amazing to have picked up and got yourself together again. I am under no misconception that you are not in an awful amount of emotional turmoil, but the strength (and note taking ..with coloured tabs) you are showing truly is something to aspire to. Now, go eat a platter of soft cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there, just saw this link and hope you dont mind me adding to it. I have over the last 4 years had 4 failed ICSI treatments at Bourn Hall, so am feeling the same want to change my clinic. I am thinking of waiting to early next year as its only last week they lost my 14 ice babies on day 6. I need to get strong and try and move on. I too am thinking of the Argc in London so if anyone can tell me more would be gratefully recieved. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous - email me womb4improvement@gmail.com I don't tend to name my clinic here (worried about getting sued!) but I'll happily share the info I've received from others.

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!