Tuesday, 7 June 2011

Comments Round Up: When To Test

Thank you for all your tips and advice regarding when to test.  I have read, digested, cogitated and come up with a plan.

For those of you use to IVF speak I am currently 8dp5dt and 13days past egg retrieval. For those of you that aren't, it has been 13 days since my eggs were wrenched from my ovaries, and eight days since my five-day-old embryos were welcomed back some way south of the bosom of our family.

T warned me against a false positive as a result of the HCG shot based on advice here. My shot of 10,000 Iu was on the Monday before my egg collection. Which put me off testing until yesterday - a false positive must surely be more painful than a definitive result. (And it broke my heart to see she'd found this to her cost last year).

A couple of people told tales of testing too early to get a negative followed days later by a positive. MabelB tested 14 days after a retrieval but didn't get a positive until 17 days after. Which for me would be on Saturday. A ModernMedicineMiracle had a similar experience after her IUI, again waiting 17 days.

Most of your clinics aren't as harsh as mine making me wait 16 days post transfer (Which takes me to Wednesday 15 June):

  • The case for today as a test day came from NursLouisa. She said she got a blood test a week after transfer of a six-day blastocyst, adding an extra day (as my embryos were five days old) makes today my equivalent - but remember blood tests are more sensitive than peesticks.
  • Waiting and Wishing's clinic tests fourteen days after egg collection, which would be tomorrow for me.
  • Reinforcing tomorrow as a test day, The Cat Lady was told by her Doctor to test nine days after a five-day embryo was implanted.
  • Slackie O reckons that her clinic suggests a slightly more conservative blood test 15 days after egg collection - that'll be Thursday.
  • Guinevere made the good point that 15 days past egg collection equates with 15 days past ovulation which, based on the fact that my period comes 14 days after ovulation 15 days is officially one day late. And for me, Thursday.
It seems I could really test any time from now with a reasonable expectation of a fairly good idea of whether it'd worked or not.  In fact, I was sorely tempted to test this morning - it is the husband's birthday and I had romantic visions of skipping back into the bedroom pee-stick held aloft proclaiming  a special birthday surprise.  Then I had an alternative vision of spending his birthday lunch crying into my scallops. So I shelved that idea.

I have decided to stick to my guns, in consultation with the husband we agreed that I will test on Saturday. This seems like a good solution - late enough to give me a result I can feel confident in. I'll still have Saturday and Sunday to digest the result, before facing work. And I can carry out my week off plans without fear of having to cancel because I just want to escape under a duvet.

I just hope that nothing scary happens between now and then to drive me to the peestick.





20 comments:

  1. Best of luck! I think u are making the right decision in when to test. At least you can just get on with your week.
    Fingers-crossed for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping that the stick cooperates and gives the results we're all wanting you to see!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so impressed with your will power. I hope that you're enjoying your week off and getting the most out of the slo-mo hours.
    Luigi

    ReplyDelete
  4. A non-early tester after my own heart. Hang in there, my friend. I hope every agonizing wait day fades away as that second line appears come Saturday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you can wait until Saturday, that's clearly better because the longer you wait the more accurate your result is. I applaud your patience*, and I think timing it so that it coincides with time to digest the result is brilliant. I hope you have a really great celebratory weekend ahead of you!

    (*Having none such myself - the first peestick gets broken out in these parts at 5dp5dt. But, if you check out the saga of my February peestick results, you'll see that testing early led to a positive test followed by a completely negative test the next day and thus being so sure that we were having a chemical pregnancy. We could totally have spared ourselves all that heartbreak and drama if we'd been as smart as you.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...I never had that much willpower...and...just to ensure I got a true result...I actually started POAS just after transfer and KNEW it would be positive because of the HCG trigger...I then POAS everyday and watched the line get lighter and then disappear. Usually within 10 days of the shot it was all out of my system...I then gave it a couple days of no POAS and started up again. I got my Positive 11 days after 3 day transfer on both my IVF's and 10 days after an FET of a 5Day embryo. So...you definitely are in the clear from my experience now...but Saturday is a good day and I really like your plan.

    Oh..and Happy Birthday to your Hubby...It is my birthday too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good plan. Best of luck I have everything crossed that can comfortably be crossed that this works!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blue Tesco own-brand? Or clearblue early?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck...I tested 8dp5dt & it was positive...I then bought more tests and proceeded to take 8 tests before my blood test on 10dp5dt. I'm inspired b your will power! Thinking of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have more will power than I! I'm anxious to hear your result! Fingers crossed...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well thought out, and I cannot wait until Saturday!!!!! How will I ever make it until then?! Oh wait it's not about me? Lol , super excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eagerly awaiting Saturday and hoping the eager isn't for naught!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - incredible analysis of when to pee on something! I hope that your strategy works out well, and you get that positive result on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here's hoping that whatever day (Thursday? You lost me!) you get the result you want!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I guess I never really thought about it in that much detail. I typically test way too early, then wait until AF shows, then test again incase I'm one of "those" girls who actually is pregnant but still gets her period. It's back-asswards, but I guess that's just my style.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fingers crossed for you! I will be thinking of you on Sat (is that right)? :)
    Yeah, those pee sticks can drive one more than crazy. Stick, embies, stick!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a good plan- and very thought out!!!

    Hope you can wait it out till then and hope it's worth the wait too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am glad you cogitated so well - your plan sounds sensible. I am sending you all sorts of Irish luck. xx

    (Thanks for the advice to practise telling about the miscarriage before I go to the GP. I am telling the cat, and plan to graduate to humans soon. :) You are right, it really helps.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi WFI, just wanted to say all the best for Saturday, love your blog and got everything crossed for you,
    Mags

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like a very sensible (and restrained) plan. I recommend splurging on the most expensive, sensitive test you can find, I always favoured the digital clearblue ones with the yes/no answer rather than spending a panicky hour trying to decide if there was a very faint line or not. But I'm sure you've thought of that anyway. I really hope this works for you and you can keep your sanity over the next few days.

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!