Monday, 30 May 2011

Womb For Two?

The embryologist delivered the good news. In the four hours since he had last checked, one of my morula's had transformed into a blastocyst. The other was still lagging behind a little. Regardless though, he decided to put both the front runners back in to my womb.

There are three more pre-morulas kicking about.  He is going to check them again tomorrow, and hopefully freeze some survivors.

Before the transfer the nurse wanted to check that my bladder was full to the point of bursting. I was hustled into theatre and, on the second go, deemed ready. At this point last IVF the nurse had scurried off to get the husband.

This time she didn't.

A different embryologist introduced herself, and Doctor.

No one made a move to get the husband.

The doctor appeared. I was manoeuvered into the stirrups, my arse hanging off the edge of the bed and modesty towel removed.

Any moment now they'll nip and get him, I reassured myself.

I was tipped back, ankles higher than my head.

They weren't going to get him.

I fought my natural British abhorrence of complaining, or even asking, and requested, if it was at all possible, whether my husband could maybe join us.

Without covering me up, and with my flange facing the door, they fetched him. And what a charming sight that must have been as he strolled in.

As I was speculummed open the pain was excruciating, alleviated only by my grasping little fingers trying to inflict an equivalent amount of pain on the husband's hand. The Doctor, master of the understatement that he is, observed that it might be quite tender because of the thrush. You know when guys will boast that their appendages will make a girl's eyes water? Believe me, that is not a good thing.

The whole process took ten minutes, it would be wrong to say they were the longest ten of my life -  I had to sit through the Man United / Barcelona game the other night - but certainly time didn't fly by.

Now I am chilling on the sofa hoping that these two little'uns will bed in.

I've been so touched by the comments here, texts and emails I've received wishing me luck.  But if I were to choose a favourite it'd be the phone call from a friend's son. Not long after she texted me he rang up and we had a lovely little chat. He burbled away excitedly and I mostly just listened unable to get a word in edgeways. Later his Mum texted to say that I was the first recipient of a self-initiated phone call from her one year old boy. Which has to be an auspicious sign.



31 comments:

  1. So happy things went well!!! Hoping for good news in 2 weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray! Hope those embryos are nestling in nicely.

    (Sounds like a delightful phone call - I get those frequently, as my name begins with A, so I'm at the top of everyone's contact list...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very very best of luck. With regards to your husband getting an eyeful - you just wait until labour (in about 8 months from now of course) it all happens then. Leave your dignity at the door, however IVF really prepares you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have slapped the Dr for that! But yay for the transfer, I hope the front runners are nestling in for the long haul xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. *Crosses legs, slowly topples off chair in pretzel position*

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I see a post from you I just hope, hope, hope it's the one we all want to see. I have everything crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for the blast and the almost blast!!! Let those little ones settle in nicely!!! Keeping you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great news! Hoping for lots more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! Potential twinses on board, my fingers are super-crossed for you.

    And I really hope your thrush problem disappears fast.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad to hear things went well for you! Great news about the blast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The phone call is a whisper...God telling you this will be okay through the lips of a babe. Praying for you and waiting as we have our very first IVF appointment TOMORROW!!! Injection class here we come.

    This is good...this is good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Crossing fingers, toes, arms, legs (and any other appendage I may have left out) for you. So glad you spoke up and that they called the husband in.

    MESSAGE TO YOUR EMBRYOS: Burrow, little ones. Burrow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck - really hoping to see only good news on this site from now on!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ow! That sounds painful!
    Come on embryos...!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is great news - hopefully these wee embryos will be sticklers!

    So glad your husband was able to join you at the crucial transfer moment - your description of him entering the room made me laugh out loud - the things we have to go through eh?!

    Also, sending much thrush discomfort sympathy; I can just imagine how it must have felt. Now you've had the transfer, are you allowed to use Canestan?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am channelling every good thought and vibe towards you and your lovely wee blastocysts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Come on you little beauties!
    (Referring to the embryos here, of course.)

    Sorry about the speculumming. Ow!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great news!! (Hideous experience though by the sounds. Yuck. But hopefully worth it!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great to hear that the transfer is done and hoping that your embies find a comfy spot in your womb.

    THE CAT LADY

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh I so feel your pain - want to know what will make a girls eyes water - a tenaculum, thank your lucky stars they didn't use one on you in that state (my eyes watered just thinking about it). I swear to god if anyone comes near me with one again I'll use it to take their brain out through their nose.

    Not to steal your thunder because I am of course thrilled that you've got two back in and that one of them caught up to blast stage (yay, yay go embies go!) but how is your wombmate going?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations!!!! Just now catching up on your posts since we have been out of town. I've been thinking of you! I'm so thrilled you have two beauties back with you and hoping that they settle in for at least nine months!!! Wishing you the very best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good thoughts,Good thoughts,Good thoughts,Good thoughts - Can't think it enough!! Come on babies and a big fat positive pg test. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  23. sending you sticky vibes!!!! Good luck this cycle!!! Can't wait to hear your good news soon.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'll be greedy for you and hope they both stick. Hope the bits heal from the yeasties. Oh the things we go through to have families!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Glad it went well! Hope those two are snuggling in!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's a sign. No doubt. Keeping all I've got crossed for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yay! Come on little blasts, STICK!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. yay! snuggle in little blasts!!

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!