Wednesday, 25 May 2011

Three years ago

Three years ago today I wrote my first post (there are a couple that I wrote later but post-dated so appear on the site earlier).

Three years ago I didn't think I was infertile. I thought that, after a year and a half of trying, we were "having problems" and I was probably overreacting.

Three years ago I knew just one other woman having IVF, today she is a couple of weeks off her due date and now I know all of you lot (well, the ones that comment anyway), my twin sister and one of my closest friends.

Three years ago if you'd told me that, today, I'd have just had 18 eggs retrieved for IVF I would have:
a) googled egg retrieval to work out what on earth you were on about
b) tried to work out if 18 was a good number - it is I'm very happy with that
c) hoped that this would be for our second child.

I'd like to say that infertility has made me a better, more compassionate, nicer person, whose relationship has been strengthened by our trials. It hasn't. (Luckily I was already perfect.)

In many ways I feel exactly the same as before; I live in the same place, work in the same place, have come no closer to pregnancy and have watched from the sidelines as friends upon friends get pregnant and have first, second, even third babies. Meanwhile I feel like in the last three years I have just been treading water.

But, hopefully, tomorrow's fertilisation report will bring good news and in eight or nine months I'll be treading in breaking waters.



21 comments:

  1. Thinking very much of you right now... looking forward to your report tomorrow. Rest well, dear friend. Hope your little ones are soon home with you to stay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping for the best possible news for you tomorrow x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. Best of luck to you!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoping for the same thing. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, 18 sounds fantastic, oooh, good luck.
    One thing about infertility is that it is scary how the infertile months turn into years very quickly.
    Good luck and thinking of you, Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  6. 18 is awesome...I'm partial to it...that's what I had....3years is a long time and yet we're all still here.I hope you get good news at your fertilization report!! Thinking of you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. good luck Liz, thinking of you and hoping this is going to work. 18 eggs sounds very positive xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great news about the eggs.

    Treading water is a great way to put it. I hope you swim ahead really soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 18! Holy crap that's good news!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done on the 18 eggs - fingers crossed for the fertilisation report tomorrow and for 2 weeks time too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 18! Off to a great start. Hope this is it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really, really hope the 18 do their job well. Have everything crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm right there with ya sister, except we are on year 4 unfortunately! And our IVF starts next week!!!!! Praying for you...you don't know how closely I watch you because I'm right behind you with IVF. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 18!!! WOW!!! That's a terrific number, woman. Hoping for a great fert report tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 18 eggs is a great number! Here's that there is at least 1 champion in there that will take on the herculean task of becoming a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  16. 3 years sounds like a good time for a change. And I think I've seen 18 being a number representing change or good luck, but I can't remember where and I'm too lazy to google.

    Hope the fertilization report brings only more good news.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fingers crossed! It just takes one! 18 is fantastic, I hope you get to freeze some. Wishing you and your 18 eggs all the best over the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thinking of you and hoping for the very best!

    I go in for my very first collection tomorrow..

    Keep treading, stay afloat I say...

    If nothing else, this bloating should help with buoyancy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hoping hard for you! Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!