Friday, 20 May 2011

Now for something a little bit different

I was a bit disappointed when I was given my protocol for this IVF. It was exactly the same as last time, starting with the same drugs, taking the same dose.

Considering the last IVF hadn't worked the fact that everything was the same convinced me that the outcome wouldn't change either.

My body, however, has had different ideas.  The way it has responded to the drugs has been completely different. Last time, like this, I started with two vials of Menopur a day. The daily blood test results caused them to tweak it a bit down to one and a half up to two again.

This time I started with the same dose but clearly over responded. Quite apart from muffin-top Tuesday I keep getting hauled in to the hospital for unscheduled scans (I've had one every day this week and, frankly, I don't know if I'll ever walk the same again). On Wednesday I was told to lay off the Menopur - and haven't restarted it.

Last time I was prescribed a growth hormone to help those follicles, this time they are doing fine by themselves.

Today's scan showed 20 follicles of between 12 and 20mm. Which, if they come through, will be a pretty impressive haul. Not dissimilar to last time but they feel a little less hot-housed.

I can't help but hope this is a good sign for the rest of the procedure.



17 comments:

  1. Thinking good thoughts for you and your follicles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go follicles!

    (The female body is carefully designed to BE CONTRARY. QED).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy follies Batman! I am so excited and it just makes me scratch my head and wonder how identical protocols can have such different results, regardless of why I am just glad that your body is cooperating and responding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!! That's quite a turnout! Amazing how you body responded so differently to the same meds. I hope all goes well! Sorry about the multiple scans and the walking funny....that's probably the most annoying part. I had daily scans for almost a whole week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It amazes me how unpredictable these cycles can be and how different each can be. Yay for a great response!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending you well wishes!!! With them being at 20 are you triggering soon??? Very exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, that sounds promising (sort of. Keep hydrated - I think that's the recommendation).

    Good luck - surely there will be a few good embryos out of all that lot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome response - now stop making more of them and don't get OHSS and I'm praying to god that one of these eggs (at least) is your takehomeprize!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a very good response (though, sorry to hear about the constant scanning...that's precisely the point at which you don't need Mr. Wandy shoved up your wazoo). It's remarkable how differently your body can respond, one time to the next. I suppose this is the wild card factor, and I think it frustrates the hell out of doctors. But it also leaves room for some wonderful things to happen. (I was bitterly disappointed last time to be using precisely the same medications and even tried to argue with my doctor to try something new...when I was converted, he conceded, "Well, clearly that didn't work so well"...and then 2 weeks later, irony of ironies).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wowza, that's good. I would never have thought the same drugs might get such a different result.

    Sorry about the John Wayne walk. I am crossing my legs in sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fingers crossed you manage to get some frozens out of this cycle with that many follicles...

    Egg collection is Monday, right? Very best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sending positive thoughts across the pond to you. Best of luck for Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bodies are crazy and so unpredictable! I think it's always a good sign when you need fewer drugs to get the body going. :) Lots of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like it is going well. I've got everything crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! That's quite a #, perhaps the last cycle got your body more prepared to do some major work.

    Also, I hate to laugh at your pain, but I almost spit out my coffee laughing at the "I may never walk the same" comment. My husband said, "oh it must be some vagina joke."

    This one sounds super promising!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds really promising! Here's hoping lots/all of those follicles keep growing and mature into eggs to be fertilised and then frozen so you have a nice cache to be able to work your way through. But even more hopefully, maybe you won't have to do that if the first transfer works and you get pregnant.

    Fingers and toes crossed for you (I am also crossing my legs in sympathy)

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!