Saturday, 28 May 2011

A Bird In The Bush

After a couple of weeks of being regularly impaled by a variety of KY jelly-enhanced medical instruments my vagina is rebelling.

I have a touch of thrush (which sounds a little like a prime time TV show - I might pitch it).

In addition my stomach is still doing a pretty good impression of a pregnant one. In fact I was asked yesterday, by someone at work, if I was pregnant. (Which isn't quite as bad as it sounds as I told her before I was having IVF though wasn't specific about where I was in the process.) But worse than the size is the pain, it is seriously uncomfortable - taut, stretched, aching. All things I would happily put up with if there was anything in there worth hanging on to.

At the moment there is nothing in there, but not for much longer.

My little ones are all doing pretty good.  Do you want the numbers?

No?

Tough.

So I started off with 14. At the moment the embryologist is looking for embryos between 8 and 6 cells big.

Six are 8 cells (five of which are top quality and one is a mere good)
Three are 7 cells (one top quality, one good quality and one average)
Four are six cells (three top and one good)

Those of you who can count will realise there is just one unaccounted for, it is one day behind the others.

This is amazing news. Last time at this stage I only had eight looking likely - now I've got thirteen potentials in there.

In fact the embryologist is so confident that he isn't going to disturb my little ones tomorrow but will check in on them on Monday and, all being well, get me in for the transfer on Monday.

Which gives me two more days to liberally smear myself with Canesten and hope the bird flies the nest.



20 comments:

  1. That is excellent news - the embryos I mean, not the thrush. Take shit loads of acidophillus and dose up on the yuckiest looking live yoghurt you can find in the supermarket. It will shift that bird in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm so excited for you!!!! Those numbers are fabulous....so many top quality and good ones....mere good is awesome in my book! I'm so excited. Grow embies grow!!! Keeping my fingers crossed til Monday's news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic Liz - really great news. Now, fly away little birdy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just recently started following your blog and am Wishing you all the best! :)




    http://infertilecyster.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is SO awesome!!! Well, not the thrush, but the rest is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just read your latest five posts and am so thrilled with your progress and your super duper embabies!! Keeping everything crossed for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear that the embryologist is proving to be a suitable nanny for your embryos.

    Sorry to hear about the thrush - that sounds...itchy. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear the numbers! Hope you feel better :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know, I miss one day and come back to more than a football team of developing embryos! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds incredibly positive! Agh on the bloat it is one of IVF cruel injustices to make you look pregnant when you haven't even had the emby put back in yet. Feeling positive this time. I reckon this it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am going to do the pregnancy dance for you. It works for everyone else but me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow you've got some amazing embies growing!! That's exciting and hopeful, very hopeful! I'm so happy for you. I might not remember, but did you switch to a different protocol this time around?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds eggcellent Liz! (I love the egg puns!) Sounds like you've got a very healthy batch of embies this time! Woo hoo for Monday transfer!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What awesome numbers! You gotcha some winning embies there! I'm so excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bird in the bush indeed. You do make me laugh and laugh, and then I realise I'm laughing at a sore itchy bloated woman and feel guilty. No, WITH a sore itchy bloated woman! WITH!

    Good luck. I am chewing my knuckles.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So awesome! Sorry about the thrush though. No fun. Sending good thoughts for Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So exciting. Just wishing you the best and looking forward to your next post (of good news).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thrush is not so nice but the progress of those embryos is fab! Roll on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like great news! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  20. First of all; I have to say that I love your choice of title plus your pitch for a touch of thrush would be hilarious! What would the premise of the series be around? Trying to work out the various causes of each episode of thrush you might get, in each new episode? Would David Jason star? Or would it be more Midsommer-ish or even Taggart-ish with a harder, darker edge?

    Thrush has confounded me for years. I've tried everything to get rid of it but it keeps revisiting. The final and most successful treatment to date was to use canestan vaginally for two whole weeks on the advice of my doctor and voila - it appears to have gone forever! (she says hanging on for dear life to the wooden desk she writes from).

    Anyway, I digress...just wanted to say also that I am so pleased that this cycle has worked out better for you...

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!