Sunday, 10 April 2011

IVF relay

I am between IVFs, but far from being dropped, the baton has been picked up by my wombmate who is now at the scanning and follicle counting stage of her first IVF.

It is bizarre that, through pure coincidence, we should suddenly be in the same situation at virtually the same time.

Our fertility issues are markedly different.  Our individual diagnosis proves that isn't a rogue genetic similarity that has caused us to face infertility. (We are barely recognisable as sisters, let alone twins.)

I had a two year head start at trying to conceive, and yet our treatment is weeks apart. (I take some credit for this as from six months in I started nagging the womb mate to visit the Doctor 'just to check there is nothing obviously wrong.')

I did worry how I would, honestly, feel at this point. Having failed at my last IVF I wondered whether a little part of me would secretly hope that it didn't work for her first time too. If a nasty jealousy would spring up and need to be quashed. Something that I would be ashamed to admit and hate myself for feeling but that would be beyond my control.

Thankfully I don't feel like that at all.

I am desperate for it to work for her. Although she is a dramatic six minutes older than me I've often felt quite protective of her, and I hate that she is suffering like me, like us.

I'll be honest, it isn't all altruistic, an IVF good news story would help me feel a bit more positive about my up and coming go too. When I take the baton off her again at the end of the month.

That isn't to say the stab of jealousy won't come.  I would be some kind of saint if she got pregnant and my next IVF fails not to feel envy at some point.  But another niece or nephew to hang out with would be very cool.

Please join me in wishing her the very, very best of luck.

And whilst you're on a good luck role the Hairy Farmer Family have just had an epic Blastocyst transfer, so head over there too and show some love.




17 comments:

  1. Oh, darling, that's kind! I do not quarrel with your use of the word 'Epic!' - it damn well felt epic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry your sister is running the next leg of this race, wishing her all the luck in the world and hoping the green eyed monster visits you only briefly if it works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending a ton of luck her way and when she hands over that baton I hope luck sticks with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... I'm really sorry that your sister is enduring the same, but (perhaps) selfishly, I'm very happy that you have her to go through this together with. How amazing this will be in terms of bring you even that much closer together...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending tons and tons of good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very best of luck womb mate (well by proxy anyway)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, if you guys really HAVE to do everything together, and she is six minutes older, clearly it stands to reason that she must get pregnant slightly earlier than you. No luck needed - it's clearly fate. ;)

    (OK, but for the hell of it - much luck, Wombmate!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best of luck to the womb-mate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending many lucky vibes to both of you -- and it would totally be awesome if your babies could be born 6 minutes apart, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What [unprintable] luck that you've both got this [unprintable][unprintable] situation to deal with. For [unprintable]'s sake!

    Good luck, good luck, to both the womb-mates. Fingers crossed. Wish I could do more than that, though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. best of luck to your wombmate as she starts her first IVF! I hope she gets BFP and you get one next month!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sending good vibes and lots of love WombMate's way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thinking of your wombmate and sending deeply felt wishes of luck her way. (OMG, I absolutely hate that either of you are contending with this shite.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhhh good lucl to your seestor!!!! I hope you both get to celebrate your sucesses together one day in the near future. You might want to forewarn your dad not to send any inappropriate texts to your sister upon announcement of her outcome. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope that it goes swimmingly for your sister and for you, next time around, it is bloody tough when a close relative is pregnant when you feel you should be but fingers crossed you'll both be pregnant with twins together and your dad will be speechless!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's ironic that you're both here, and not in a funny ha ha way. On one hand, it's always nice not to feel alone. On the other, I think anyone who's been through it wouldn't wish it on anyone else (and least of all on our nearest and dearest). I'll cross my fingers for her. And my fingers are already crossed for you (a double cross... ha!)

    It's such a crapshoot. Clinics spend a lot of time and expense on printing those sheets that show pie charts and statistics. But when it comes down to it, it's a dice roll that depends on one hundred thousand little factors. I don't like that at all. But sometimes in the randomness, good things happen. (A good thing I'd like to see happen: a successful cycle for your wombmate followed directly by a successful cycle for you).

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!