Thursday, 10 March 2011

Who Knew?

In the two weeks leading up to my embryo transfer I was in constant contact with the clinic.

The week before egg collection I was popping in most days for a blood test or scan, getting constant updates as to how I was responding to drugs and receiving encouraging signs about my follicle growth. Then, after the egg collection, my daily phone calls from the embryologist were the highlight of my day, and that includes the day I had lamb shanks for tea.

Now I've been dropped quicker than an East African dictator. (Oh yeah! I do satire).

Sure I'm still drugged up to my cervix (The Shelia, how right you were with your description, "Cyclogest.... the never ending white period" ).  But essentially they only want to see me again once I know whether, or not, I am pregnant.

I was thinking earlier that every major life changing thing that has happened to me someone else has known the result before me.  From the examiner marking my A-levels, the admission officer at my university, people who've interviewed me for various jobs, the estate agent who told me my offer had been accepted.

Clearly many of these people couldn't give a toss as to the outcome, but nonetheless they knew something that would make a profound difference to my life before me.

When I take that pregnancy test no one other than me will know the outcome for just a few seconds, until I to share the news with the husband.

That is kinda cool. 

I just hope the result is a life changing one rather than same old, same old.



20 comments:

  1. Me too if anyone deserves to see the two lines it is you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, God, how I hope you get those glorious few seconds of life-changing news only you (and your embryo) in all the world know.

    But you'll tell us too, yes? After your husband and Real People?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just don't knock the cup of wee all over the bathroom floor like I did when you run to tell him the good news!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It IS strange to be let loose after such careful monitoring. I've never made it to transfer, but I feel this way even with the IUI's I've done.

    And there is something special - and "right" feeling - about you knowing before others do. Empowering that, in a way, when so much else has been out of our control. I have high hopes that it's good news you'll be delivering to your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fingers crossed so hard for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You hit it right on the head. When you take that test and it's positive (& it will be), that is truly you're "alone" moment. That moment that you will always remember. I still have the 2 or 3 positive PG tests sitting in my bathroom drawer and it's been 1 & 1/2 yrs. I want to put them in a memory book, and yet wondering if that's just nasty since they have been peed on? Good luck...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hoping for a positive result and lots of happy tears for you xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to see it as being the 1st to know and not being let go. Those are the longest seconds of your life. Good luck and can't wait to hear when you test and the results!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heh, I'm on Prometrium... aka the never-ending hot pink period. ;-)

    I'm keeping everything crossed for you that the news you receive is life-changing (in the best way)! Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, are you going to take the internet's advice or are you holding out for that 16 day mark?

    Although your doctor may have dropped you like CBS dropped Charlie Sheen (I see your current events satire and raise you a useless pop culture reference!), but all the people in the computer are hanging around to hold your hand...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Heavens above, the HPT. If there was ever a situation where so much hope, longing and effort comes down to one moment in time, I can't think what it might be.

    Hoping for you, loads and loads. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. De lurking !! I, for some reason, have a VERY GOOD feeling about your cycle....I honestly feel by this time next year... you're gonna be a Mama. N to the above "Anonymous" commenter... I still have the "pee stick" from my first pregnancy...and he will be 23 this summer....:) 23 YEARS that is !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thinking of you Liz - I know these days bring a roller coaster of emotions. Hope that private moment in the loo brings you the biggest smile. X

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is super cool! Goooo, babies!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!