Wednesday, 2 March 2011

Two and A Half Weeks Pregnant?

Call me slow, but it took me a while to work out that the number of weeks you are pregnant is counted from the first day of your period NOT the day of conception.  I used to get so confused reading blogs when folk were going for a six week scan and I knew that their IUI or egg transfer had only taken place a month before.

I can't be the only person who assumed the date was calculated from the point of conception. I wonder how many husbands have become unjustifiably suspicious of their faithful wives when they go for a 12 weeks scan and hastily work out that 12 weeks prior they were on a business trip.

(And I also like to amuse myself with the thought that if Posh and Becks made the same assumption then Brooklyn Beckham should probably be called Essex Beckham, or better Peckham Beckham.)

Therefore, should this IVF work then I am, as I type, two and a half weeks pregnant. That is an odd thought.

At the moment my potential babies are snuggled up in a petri-dish dividing and growing, and out of any harm I can put their way. (See the bottom of this post for the embryo report.)

Which means I am free to do what very few pregnant women have the luxury of doing. Yesterday I had the day off work to recover from the egg collection.  As it happens I felt absolutely fine, so took the opportunity to take myself out to lunch.

I gorged on sushi; raw fish, rare beef nigiri, tempura prawns.

Food that a pregnant woman should steer clear of. (Apparently the jury is out on sushi, but I won't be taking any chances.) It was a fond farewell to some of my favourite foods, hopefully for nine months.

And if some of you read this post cringing, thinking I am making too many assumptions and not used the words 'if' and 'hopefully' and 'fingers crossed' enough, then don't worry. I know there are no guarantees, I know fine well this might not work.  But I figure if I don't get pregnant I won't be any less devastated if I have spent my days thinking it probably won't work rather than thinking positive and deciding it will.

Besides if I told you how many 'last drinks' I've had over the past four and a half years it'd make you weep.

Embryo Update

All the embryos survived the night and are all still growing. They are between 2 and 5 cells big:

3 are 5 cells
1 is good quality
2 are average quality

2 are 4 cells
1 top quality
1 good quality

3 are at 3 cells
2 good quality
1 average

4 are at 2 cell stage
1 top quality
2 average quality
1 poor quality

(I think their grading system is: top, good, average, poor)

He said tomorrow he should have a better idea of when the transfer will take place.

Odd to think one or two of these clusters could be a baby ...


**Clarification**
I wasn’t very clear in my post yesterday when I said that blastocysts have a better chance of implanting.  This isn’t quite right, what I meant was:

Blastocysts have been watched for 2 – 3 days longer than embryos, during this time the clinic works out which the best ones are before deciding which to put back. When there are lots of good ones to choose from on day three then the embryologist can’t narrow down the best ones very easily. So it is better to wait a few more days and let natural selection do its thing, hoping a clear winner comes out at blastocyst stage.

However, if there are just a few embryos and a couple of clear front runners by day three there is no real benefit in waiting for blastocysts, so the best one or two are shoved back into its home for the next nine months as soon as possible.

Sorry if I made anyone panic about their embryos!



24 comments:

  1. Hurray! All of them survived.
    It is indeed awe-inspiring to think one of those (or more) could be your actual child. (Cross fingers, touch wood, genuflect, sing luck be a lady, salute magpies, run around churches backwards - oh pleeeeease be nice, universe.)

    Peckham Beckham. That would have been so classy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, husbands panic when they don't realize that 'timing'. We literally got pregnant the weekend my husband came home from his deployment (he's in the Air Force). At the scan, we were 6 weeks pregnant, but he had only been home 4. He said "that can't be right...". The Dr. explained the way they count, and he felt much better! Hoping the next week and a half goes buy with great news at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for great embryo reports!

    Yes, it took me a while to understand the weekly thing, too. It's really weird. Especially since so few women REALLY have perfect 14-14 cycles. I mean, I've had a few 23 day cycles. That means that, if I had gotten pregnant, I would have, by the numbers, been almost a week pregnant before I even started my period that cycle. Now, that's just weird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad things are all going so well - long may it continue. The dates thing is annoying until you get used to it. At least with IVF it makes a bit more sense as you count back 14 days from egg collection which is a tad more accurate than the "normal" way when there is zero guarantee of ovulation on Day 14.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't that weird? That you count from your period. I guess that is because most people have NO IDEA when they ovulated. Most people haven't counted it out and tracked it, or literally know the moment it happened, like you. So I guess it makes sense in that context, the context that 90% of people know. I hope, hope, hope you're 2.5 weeks pregnant right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it; I think I'm going to refer to myself as 0w2d pregnant for the rest of today. ;) Yay for growing embies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get the counting thing in doctors' offices all the time. "But you had your period six weeks ago?" and me saying "TRUST ME, I am four weeks pregnant. I know when I ovulated." Now I just lie about the date I had my period. Saves time.

    That was gloomy. Sorry.

    Fingers very very crossed that that WAS your last sushi until, ooh, Chanukah?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, as an IVF patient, you should *totally* lie about your LMP. You conceived on ER day and you know it.

    But yeah, all those mythical women who got pregnant the very first time they had sex were 2 weeks pregnant as VIRGINS!

    (Not me. I'm a "ruined woman". Alas, that didn't seem to do the trick...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmmmm gorge away. I am also out on the sushi after all I am sure Japanese women eat it when they are pregnant? Let's hope this is the last of the last drinks and last time you can eat food. It's about time and you damn well deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad for the clarification on how it's counted, I'm hopeful that this will come in use in the future as it hasn't just yet for me.

    I'm glad you enjoyed the sushi, I don't eat it often, but when I want to, I'm glad I can have some and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sushi... mmm... must eat some sushi now.
    Good work, embryos, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. so I get two weeks pregnant every month? no wonder I always feel so crappy when I get my period!

    I also always subscribed to the theory that I should think positive while waiting. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on being 2.5wks PG with a dozen possible babies! Everything is looking really good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The 2.5 week pregnancy headstart is kind of odd, and I too had no clue until we started our IVF cycle. It almost felt like cheating when I went in for my "6 week" u/s.

    What was frustrating about this whole deal is when I transferred care from the RE to the OB, who insisted on calculating my EDD based on my last period...only I really didn't have a "last" period preceding my cycle. (I was on BCP, and didn't really have a period during the week I was supposed to.) So, if I told them my true last period, it was a month off--a month too early. I got soooo tired of trying to explain that to every other nurse at every other OB appointment, so finally I just started lying and giving a fake period date of two weeks previous to my transfer. I never understood why they couldn't wrap their head around it, but perhaps they just don't have a lot of IF patients?

    Anyway, I'm loving your fert report! I get goosebumps thinking that one those gems could be YOUR BABY. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is clearly the most obvious example of how you must be your own advocate in health care. Once you figure out their calculation methods, it's easier to just lie to your medical practitioner than keep explaining over and over what went on. Why do they even take notes, since no one ever looks at them again?

    Your embryo report sounds pretty fantastic! Surely there are several keepers in that lot. Much luck...

    Peckham Beckham (*snort*)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds good!

    And yeah.. it's weird. (the preg counting thing)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So happy those little babes are dividing and growing :) thinking about you!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sooo, 12 embryos, 2.5 weeks pregnant, Beckham.... I think that right now you are 'soccer-mom' of your own team...
    (sorry, couldn't resist, I'll relurk now)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is just fabulous - what a haul! Twenty-one eggs is fantastic - and if you dodged the hyper ovarian stimulation thing and still produced that number, then that sounds like the perfect outcome.

    I know what you mean about the 2.5 weeks pregnant thing. I was also confused with this. I guess as we know the exact moment of conception (if it happens), then we know the exact amount of time we've been pregnant - but the docs label it differently.

    Best of luck with your little embryos - do you know yet when your transfer date is?

    ReplyDelete
  20. The age old debate of when to count from. Personally I counted from conception but I don't like to run with the pack.
    I'm so happy that it's all go and the embryos are do their thing.
    I have every faith you'll be going without Sushi for a fair while yet (and that's after your little one arrives.. I've barely time to scratch my own arse let alone go out to a sushi bar).

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, and while we're on the subject of the Beckhams, please tell me you don't reside in Cockfosters or another such bizarre named London location. Or while we're at it, that the hospital isn't in the borough of Hackney. Social will be kocking on your door quick sharpish!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I dig your positive attitude. You're right, it can't hurt to be thinking GOOD thoughts all this time. Why do we do that to ourselves?

    I really do hope that was your last sushi for the next nine months.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I knew about the math, but never thought about the fact that you could be 2.5 weeks pregnant without, well, actually being pregnant at the time.
    And regarding the EDD (and perhaps doctor visits in general), I think making up a "last period" is the best idea, as I think most people (even in the medical world) are confused or clueless about this.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are so Totally 2.5 weeks pregnant right now. Most definitely!!!
    I love you awesome attitude and hope that I can channel it in a few short weeks when its my turn.

    much love to you!

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!