Thursday, 3 March 2011

Divide and Conquer

Today's embryo report was encouraging.

The embryos are three days old and at this stage they should have been dividing and growing and have reached 6 - 9 cells big.

4 of the initial 12 are only 5 cells in size, so we can discount them.

8 are the right size.

Of this 8, 3 are good to excellent quality (you have no idea how my heart leapt when I heard the word excellent - imagine what I'll be like when they bring home their reports from school. Is that jumping ahead too far?).

5 are average. So they might come good, they might not, but three is plenty.

Because they are doing well the clinic is happy to leave them to develop to blastocyst stage (5 - 6 days), so they will call me again on Saturday and let me know whether to come in for the transfer on Saturday or Sunday.

Either way, I have booked Monday and Tuesday off work in clammy-handed anticipation, and now have to work out what to tell my Dad and step-mother who I had planned to meet for Sunday lunch. ("Sorry, can't meet because a stranger will be wearing me like a bowling ball and conceiving your grandkids.  Don't worry the husband will be watching. Don't have the caviar.")

Getting close now ...






30 comments:

  1. This gets better and better every day! :) I know that this has felt like a sloooow eternity for you--getting to your IVF cycle--but I can't believe that your transfer is now just around the corner. Sooo excited for you!

    P.S. I had 2 7-cells, and one of those is sleeping on my chest right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news! The bowling ball picture in my head was a little much for first thing in the morning though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very exciting and positive! Saturday or Sunday.

    Ha! Am put off caviar for life now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A bowling ball... delightful!
    I think you should name your embryos...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great news! That last paragraph made my day.. perhaps a little too graphic for 7:30am, but seriously funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Don't have the caviar" indeed! I've just spit tea all over my lap-top.

    Be excellent, little embryos. And, you know, party on, dudes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is an excellent report!! Not sure what I'm looking forward to more - your weekend transfer update or the reason you come up with for bailing on lunch with your dad and step-mom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great report! What overachievers you have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woohoo! great report..."don't have the caviar" you make giggle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds great! And please share your family lunch excuse ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome, awesome news! 3 of excellent quality is fantastic. Excited for you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha... No more caviar for me then...
    Fantastic report. Hooray for your wonderful embryos. Crossing everything for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thats great news! Hope all continues to be good.
    I think a 24hr gastro bug is already a good excuse!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic Liz. Just bloody great.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like those little guys are bringing home a report card full of As and A+s! Sounds like a fun weekend for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent! This is a very, very good number. And the truth is that those additional five sound like strong contenders, as well.

    Take it easy. Bask. Make your husband wait on you hand and foot. Dr. Adele's orders.

    ReplyDelete
  17. YAY, so happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such good news keeps coming from you - I hope it just keeps on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So excited for you! Very glad you're taking Mon and Tues off from work, this way you can relax and let things take their course instead of scurrying around. Let the husband tend to you all weekend, he needs to get used to it, good practice for the future baby(ies).

    ReplyDelete
  20. Still cannot believe I am reading IVF updates from you...finally. Oh I am just so excited for what is to come!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Super exciting....I hope all goes well...tell those embies to grow, grow, GROW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Unbelievably exciting....................xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. ps: I have been reading your updates at home on my crummy iphone but can't comment - I have no wifi! So excited. x

    ReplyDelete
  24. HUGE hugs and high hopes for you, darlin!

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!