Thursday, 17 March 2011

Banned: Fat Ladies Who Might Sing

The heroine of this IVF has undoubtedly been the nurse I was assigned at the start of the process.  Doctors come and go but Yoshanta has been a constant presence. And, call me fickle, but she has replace Eunice in my affections.

She has booked me in for the earliest possible scans so I can get to work on time, bruised me less than the other nurses when taking my blood, and always calls me back within a few hours of me leaving a message.

During the last scan before my egg collection she whispered, "I'm not really allowed to do this, but ..." and glancing furtively over her shoulder she scribbled something on a scrap of paper, "here is my personal mobile number. Call me if you need anything or are worried."

Of course I haven't called it, I don't want to abuse her trust, and she does always respond when I phone the office. This just illustrates how willing she is to go above and beyond the call of duty.

This morning when I went for a blood test she told me about another patient who had started bleeding and assumed it was a period, she got stuffed full of progesterone, got a positive pregnancy test and "should be delivering any day now."  A tale that have been echoed by so many of you in the comments.

If I am honest, my gut feeling is that this hasn't worked. I did a cheeky early pregnancy test this morning and it was negative, and I am still bleeding.

But Yoshanta isn't giving up.  My blood test revealed a progesterone level of 37.

I know!

She may as well have said 1786, or 0.6. It means nothing to me, what it means to her, however, is that it could do with some bolstering.

So tonight I am going to ask the husband to do me in the arse. By which I am referring to not some kind of recompense for my vagina having been stuffed full of suppositories and out of action for the last few weeks, but giving me an intra-muscular injection in my backside. (See the sex gags are back, I'm clearly feeling better).

I'll keep these injections up over the weekend and go in on Monday for blood test, and a definitive answer.

I feel resigned to this not working, but I won't be necking the Guiness tonight, just in case.

And I don't really want to let Yoshanta down.



24 comments:

  1. Oh, sweetie. Many more hugs, if you want them. I'll leave them over here in the corner.

    When all the drama is over, I am stealing Yoshanta.

    But meanwhile, I am thinking of you, and generally hanging around being useless internet presence. But one who cares.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just checking back in, I've been think about your situation and wondering what's going on. Sounds like you're still in limbo right now, I don't think there is anything to say that can help right now.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. It's a little like meeting someone famous in real life. I've been reading your blog for almost a year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending so much hope, still!!

    And, seriously, the "do me in the arse" comment made me laugh. Last night at midnight I came downstairs and said to my husband "It's time to poke me in the butt." He started going on about how he was going to tell all his friends what I was demanding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blood progesterone is really high, and that's not including the supps that you are also taking (if I'm remember correctly).

    And that is one awesome nurse!! I hope her optimism rubs off on you a bit and good things come on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no idea what that number means either but I'm glad you have such an amazingly supportive IVF nurse and that there is a plan in place, medical people are doing all they can and you are not in limbo. Crossing everything for a positive end result for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hoping, hoping, hoping. Glad you have someone great in your corner. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And you had me at "Do me in the arse". I'll be thinking of you girl, hang tough.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finally found a way to comment on my phone (is it only me?) to say i am here asanother useless internet presence wishing you well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did they do a HCG count as part of the blood test?

    ReplyDelete
  10. The do me in the arse comment was gold. I like Yoshanta we need more of them and less of Nurse Ratchids in the IVF world. My last IVF nurse told me after the BFN but it is ok because I am only young. Yep wanted to bash her in the head. Good thing she didn't give me her mobile number I might have tracked her down and did something.......Fingers crossed for a miracle blood test result.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, you have me laughing hard as ever. I want your nurse... if she shows up missing, I swear I had *nothing* to do with it. ;) Thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  12. So hoping the extra progesterone is what you need, Liz! I am, as I type, leaning back against a heating pad after my very own IM progesterone injection du jour (okay, du soir). Keep us posted!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hoping for the best of all outcomes! Good lick with the PIO shots.

    ReplyDelete
  14. She is right...there are so many stories of weird situations like this that turn out to have fairy tale endings and you deserve one too :)

    I love hearing good nurse stories. They (we) get bad raps sometimes, but I know there are some good ones out there that can and want to make a difference. I am glad you found one :)

    I am surprised they didn't do a beta today or tomorrow to help you out :( Anyways, enjoy the butt shots!!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yoshanta sounds lovely. And I'm glad the fat lady and her big mouth have not put in an appearance. I think your plan is a sound one - let Monday hold the answer. Avoid the Guinness until then.

    Sometimes we have a gut feeling that it hasn't worked, and we're right. But sometimes? The gut feeling is wrong. Hoping that it's the second.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful nurse! I read often, but I don't think I've ever posted. Just wanted you to know, I am keeping you in my thoughts. I've been where you are now too many times, and the anxiety is killer. I hope that fat lady keeps her trap shut and this journey ends well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. No fat ladies singing! I love Yoshanta already...

    Yeah, that "do me in the arse" comment was the best.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Instead of singing, I'll keep my fat little fingers crossed for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am very confused. Why did they not do an hcg test? And the progesterone number is fine by the way, not a big deal either way. Hope things are ok, but not sure what your clinic is up to.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yoshanta, we thank you.

    *Thinking good, hopeful thoughts*

    ReplyDelete
  21. When is your beta? How many days past transfer are you?

    Oh, I'm so wishing that this will work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Here from May’s blog to wish you luck and better days ahead.

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!