Tuesday, 15 February 2011

Mission Pregnable

In response to my answer phone message regarding the onset of my period the nurse called back on Monday to give me my next set of instructions.

"Come to the Reproductive Medicine Unit at 10am tomorrow, bring one packet of Menopur and tonight reduce your dose of Buserelin to 0.2ml."

I felt like a secret agent being sent on an assignation. At each stage I am given a little bit more information about the next, information leaked out on a need know know basis only. Too much knowledge could be dangerous.

So this morning, with the collar on my mac popped, I scurried furtively to my next assignment.

My assignation today started off, as ever, with a thorough internal examination, to check I am not trying to smuggle any cysts into the procedure.  I was given the all clear and was passed to the nurses for my briefing.

In the manner of Q detailing how to use an explosive pen I was given detailed instructions on how to mix my vials of Menopur powder with the correct liquid.  And told, mysteriously, that I would be contacted tonight between 5pm and 8pm by an unnamed individual (from an, as yet, unvisited clinic) who would give me the go ahead to start taking the drug.  This doesn't mean that I stop the Buserelin that I have been taking to date - so I shall take two injections a day until further notice.

The Buserelin instructs  the pituitary gland to prevent the ovaries releasing eggs, whilst the Menopur is "used to stimulate multiple follicles and eggs to develop in women." I think of it (probably wrongly) as the Menopur revving the engine whilst the Buserelin clutch is still on, so we aren't going anywhere but my souped up Aston Martin-like (ahem) chassis is primed for a racing start.

The nurse duly called tonight at the appointed time leaving the cryptic message "The Doctor has reviewed your scan. It is all clear. Action stations. Go, go, go with the Menopur" (Or words to that effect).

Also today I was handed document, a treatment plan schedule detailing the next couple of weeks:

On Friday morning, clutching a warm, fresh semen sample in my sweaty little hands I go back to the clinic for a blood test.  I drop off the afore-mentioned package - it isn't being tested for anything particularly exciting - just bacteria. I should also stand by my phone for another call from the mysterious clinic between 5pm and 8pm on Friday.

Then next week will be very scan heavy, with scans booked on Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning to check what is developing. The nurses have booked me in for the earliest possible appointments, so I should be able to go without blowing my cover at work.

Tentatively, the egg collection is planned for Monday 28 of February.  You heard it here first.



25 comments:

  1. It's all so exciting!! I hope your beautiful chassis produces some equally beautiful googs and that your little darlin' is in that batch.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha your post made me laugh and I soooo needed that today! Good luck with your cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the mystery of it all..nothing like torturing your body with needles, probes, and other such niceties and having no idea what comes next.

    Best of luck! And keep us posted...it's like a soap opera, I can't seem to get enough of this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, the mystery! I was ready to kill someone and they went over the schedule most thoroughly with me. I wanted to know everything and all they would give me were vague reassurances...and then I would go on the message boards and see that everyone else knew waaaaay more than I. Anyway, I had all the dates, and nothing worked out as it should have and my husband had to rearrange his work schedule. Be prepared for readjustment...

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, you put a smile on my face... got to love the mystery of it all! Hope it's a successful mission for you - good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. big hugs, liz! this is totally happening!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cannot tell you how much I enjoy reading this blog. Sorry to take pleasure from your frustration...

    This comment will self destruct in 10...9...8...7...

    ReplyDelete
  8. "It's warm in Moscow, for the time of the year."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh exciting! That actually sounds quite organised from a clinic perspective, I'm impressed! You did well to get the scans in nice and early so you can go to work pretty much normally. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. woooooooooooooooooooooowsoexciting!!!!!!!xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots of appendages crossed for you. Well done on keeping work out of it so far too - that's impressive!

    Have you thought about whether you'd like to take any time off? I tend to take off the time between egg collection and egg transfer back to me, as I would always be a bit of a zombie after the general anaesthetic at egg collection. I always tried to go back to work after egg transfer though, as I didn't want to be sitting at home researching every twinge on Dr Google.....

    Any sign of your inner hormonal monster coming out yet or are you doing ok?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mission part 1.a accomplished, agent WFI. Good luck for the next steps.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woo hoo! Menopur kind of stings, but I hope they get tons of mature follicles at your ER!! Good Luck!! Can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness! It's here! It's here! I can hardly believe it, I bet you are amazed as well. All the luck in the world to you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved this, hope the Menopur doesn't sting too much for you, that's my least favorite shot right now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so chuffed things are happening!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This truly cracked me up!!! So true... info given on a need to know basis along the way. Best of luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this post! Thanks for giving me such a good laugh - needed it! I'm rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad to hear the mission is on - just so long as the instructions don't self-destruct.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think the car analogy is an apt one. It's strange to take some medications that prime the engines and others that keep thing from moving too quickly. And it is like being given top secret missions. Cryptic messages, pickups and dropoffs.

    Preparation for our life as undercover diaper changers and clandestine breastfeeders?

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!