Friday, 11 February 2011

I have nothing to declare ...

... except my genius.

Sorry all, I know I generally do the self-depreciating British thing, but sometimes, just occasionally something happens that convinces me that I might possibly be a kind of Guru.

Ages ago I wrote a light, throw away post.  Do you remember it? Womb For Improvement's Law. You can read it here.  But if you can't be bothered the summary is, it is like Sod's or Murphy's Law only specifically relates to infertility stuff.

When the nurse explained the procedure for the IVF and she told me to call her on the first day of my period. At that point I knew. I mean, wrap me up in diaphanous sheets and call me Sibyl.

It stood to reason that I would start my period at the weekend, when the clinic is shut.  I even, in my mind went a step further and made a little bet with myself that "knowing my luck my period will start at five past five on a Friday about as far from opening time on a Monday morning as possible."

Well I wasn't quite right.  It was 10:20pm on Friday that my period started.

So much for calling on day one, or two, or three.

Now I should be OK. I have to have a baseline scan day 1, 2, 3, or 4 so hopefully they'll squeeze me in on on Monday and I suspect that waiting until Tuesday won't be the end of the IVF or anything.

But really.  I mean it is nice to be proved right to an extent, but I wouldn't have minded being wrong just this once.

However, on a more positive note, IVF is one step closer!





16 comments:

  1. You Brit call it "sod's law" no?

    Anyways, I was always told that CD1 is the first full day of flow. So, Saturday is CD1 for you. Monday will be CD3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not that you don't have supernatural powers but I'm with Jem and you will not be day 1 till Saturday. But it's the start so it is exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo...one more step closer to your baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea for the period for once! How unlucky your clinic closes for the weekend, mine opened on weekends my embryo transfer was even on a Sunday!
    Best of luck for your scan and if it helps, Monday should only be day 3 as I got told by all the drs that the official first day of your period they count is the day you wake up with it so thats Saturday CD1, hope its the same over there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eh, they just want to check levels and ovaries that can be done on days 2-4 (or 5, if it comes to it). No big deal...although they certainly make it seem urgent. The real trouble will be getting through to someone on Monday morning. Send an email tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad your genius is in check, but bummer about the timing...I wish I could be brilliant at all the right times, however, I usually suffer the brilliant after the fact...

    Good luck with getting closer....I'm still up a tree on where I'm at...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is just sod's law isn't it?! My sister (donor) started her day 1 on the fourth day after her period started and it's all going well so far, so hopefully you will be able to do the same.
    Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course that was going to happen! How could it not. I would call day 1 Friday? If it were me being the control freak I am I would be phoning the emergency out of hours number for the clinic just to be absolutely sure no injecting needed to happen over the weekend. But that's just me, as you can imagine my clinic just loved hearing from me......
    It's nearly egg making time! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwww! I too have befallen victim to Womb for Improvement's Law. You should be totally fine with a Day 4 baseline, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Most clinics say it's day 1 only if period starts before noon. If it starts after noon it's not day 1. So you're safe (as others have said), monday is day 3.

    You can call over the weekend, btw, if you want, they are obliged to have someone on call in case someone is hyperstimulating etc etc.

    ReplyDelete
  11. bwahahaha! I'm so sorry but that's just too funny! You'll be just fine, I promise! Monday will be fine! IVF, here she comes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just wanted to let you know that when the red dragon appears after 12 then the next day is cd1. You should be fine but as usual your ability to predict NHS moves before them demonstrates your sheer genius. Surely you must be a chess master?

    ReplyDelete
  13. You should go on tour.

    (Tomorrow will work fine, sounds like. Progress! Yay!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. of course. Hope they fit you in today and all is good to go to start IVF.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hoping that they not only squeezed you in today, but that you are off to a perfect start.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, it's one of those cases where you wouldn't have minded being wrong... I hope it all turned out fine anyway. And thanks for the Sibyl reference, I didn't know that.

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!