Sunday, 5 December 2010

You Are All Wonderful

Thank you all for your wonderful comments. They really did cheer me up. I want to thank you all individually. In fact *runs off and taps on computer for a moment* I just have. I've been a bit lazy about replying to comments recently, and I am sorry, I will do better.

Another big shout out goes to the husband who jettisoned his works Christmas party - and more importantly a free bar - to come home and sit with a wife who was quite frankly poor company.

Tuesday's appointment is creeping up, but I don't expect many answers. The Doctor will do another biopsy and, in my more optimistic moments I wonder if the second biopsy might give me the all clear. But I won't get the results for at least a week, or four.

The most I can hope from this appointment is options. What they'll do if the biopsy is clear (unlikely) or not (likely).

But I do think it is also time to discuss with the Doctor my treatment options. I am so grateful to the NHS for their virtually free service, but it isn't without its downsides.

Namely the waiting.

In the last year I have had three months of treatment and the rest of the time has been weeks of inactivity and waiting. If I had been doing all the tests and appointments privately I reckon it would have taken me a maximum of 5 months to get here, rather than almost a year.

I can't wait another year. I can't do this again. The time has come to throw money at the problem, or at the very least extract a solemn pledge from the Doctor that the fannying around will desist. (By which I mean the waiting, I suspect I have an awful lot fannying around still to come).


10 comments:

  1. I hate waiting for anything. I know certain treatments require waiting. It's incredibly frustrating, though.

    I don't know if road rage is a particularly American concept, but for me it translates into most aspects of life. If I can't stand to wait 5 seconds for the idiot in front of me to pull away from the stop sign, how do you expect me to wait a week for results? Or 3 months for treatment? Or two weeks for an appointment? If I didn't need it NOW, I wouldn't be bothering you! Throwing money at the problem is usually the only way to make things speed up.

    Much luck - I hope they have something better in store for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hope that you can get to next steps much faster than previously. I can't imagine how frustrating this had been to go through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a smart decision. And the truth is that - despite the waiting - there have been a lot of tests and appointments that were covered by the NHS up to this point. That's good. But taking the bull by the horns and going private from this point just makes good sense (pending what happens at that appointment/with the biopsy).

    You've had to wait a long time. Much longer than anybody else I know/follow. It's one thing to try, and get knocked down. But it's another thing altogether not to be able to proceed with trying. I'm glad you have your supportive Scot. And how I am hoping for the all clear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good on you, Liz. It's very positive to have a plan - it makes you feel more in control of the situation. Also you are back in joking form, and this can only be good!

    Good luck tomorrow. Will be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Options, plans and action are all good. Hope you get all of these at that appt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the doc has a game plan when you go in. I can't imagine all the waiting. I would go out of my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope the doc has a plan for you. With little to no waiting. Cause you've had enough of that.
    Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just caught up on your recent posts and firstly - I'm so sorry for the latest news. I found waiting for fertility treatment on the NHS unbearable, I'm not a patient person anyway but the urge for a baby is excrutiating and took over my life, I became the super pushy bitch from hell who nagged the fertility centre nurses constantly... not something I'm proud of but I felt I had no choice at the time. It still took a year of being signed up to the clinic before I got an IVF cycle (which thankfully worked)and I know people who've had to wait several years.

    I guess what I'm saying is if you have the money (or can scape it together by beg borrowing or stealing!) I would go private. We'd already had a private consultation before getting the surprising news that I had secured an NHS round of IVF - if that hadn't been scheduled for the very next month I'd have gone private. I have a thirteen month old son now and by some miracle am pregnant again naturally (no idea how that worked but am considering this my single miracle in life!). Being a Mum has made me a completely different person to the bitter woman I was, simply because I wanted my children so much and feel so amazingly lucky. I really am babbling and I do apologise but I just want to wish you a speedy round of IVF and to urge you to go private if you need to - its so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @areyoukiddingme, road rage is well established here too. Unfortunately most of the time when I am about to lose my temperature, no one answers the phone so I just have to kick the furniture.

    @Rebecca, it is so very frustrating. But I’m hanging on in there.

    @Adele, thanks, I had resolved to go private and then forgot to ask! Doh.

    @Twangypearl the Elastic Girl, having a plan always makes me feel a bit more optimistic.

    @Betty M, cheers

    @iamstacey, Who said I haven’t gone out of my mind?

    @Conceptionally Challenged, that is pretty much what he had – which is good.

    @Mabelb, hello, good to hear from a new commentor. Fantastic that the IVF worked and even better that you have a free-be on the way. It is difficult with the NHS, but I keep hoping that with each consultation the Doctors see me as less as a nameless patient and more as someone they need to see promptly and get pregnant quickly! What can I say I am an optimist. But yes if I can I will go private.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't really know what to say to the last one, but waiting is just the pits.

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!