Friday, 24 December 2010

Christmas Starts ... Now

At 9:30 this morning I had that impending sense of doom that only seems to come during battles with the NHS.

The nurse started by telling me they didn't have my notes.

Once they were found I had my consultation with the surgeon. Her opening gambit to me was "These notes are very confusing. Are you having a Mirena coil put in?"

If I hadn't been in such a weakened state from lack of food and drink I might have concussed myself from banging my head repeatedly against the table. This may be the reason they ban folk from sustenance prior to operations.

Luckily something about yesterday's pre-op had given me an inkling this might happen so I had carefully written out my expectations for the operation, what drugs I am taking now, what drugs I expected afterwards.

Once we had sorted that out and I'd waited, and waited, and a bit more waiting I went up for the anaesthetic.

Frankly my dears, opiates are for the win.

I loved it.

I was only out for an hour and woke feeling refreshed, happy, compos mentis and in absolutely no pain.

Now, a few hours later, I'm on the sofa - watching my choice of TV - and feeling a little light headed but generally all good. It really wasn't bad at all.

You are welcome to leave comments pointing out that a) you told me so and b) that I should stop being such a big girl's blouse.

And in return, I want to wish all of you a FANTASTIC CHRISTMAS!

Have a great ones, dudes.


14 comments:

  1. LOL. Glad the procedure itself went well and you were treated to some lovely narcotics and are now lounging on the couch. Go figure that NHS had no idea why you were there. . . how could you expect any less? It seriously makes me happy I live in the US!
    A very very Merry Christmas back your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm! Less than reassuring that it was up to you to tell them what you were in for. (I mean, if you'd asked for a pink hair transplant, would they have done that?)
    But never mind that, you're alive! And all ready to have a lovely holiday, I hope.

    Merry merry Christmas, to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad it went well after all that. Yeesh!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and that you don't feel any residual discomfort from your procedure. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Chrstmas to you too! Glad you enjoyed the drugs. ;) Sounds like you needed them just to deal with the incompetence. Geesh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad it all went smoothly for you! I hope himself is spoling you rotten and that you have a wonderfully relaxing Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm - O..PI...ATES....told you so...(sorry - had to be done..)
    So glad it all went well and that you can finally enjoy Christmas.
    Have a good one Liz - lord knows you deserve it.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you go for the vajazzling? Or just the doctor recommended procedure (which I cannot remember how to spell either).

    Merry Christmas! Enjoy your buzz...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Christmas! Glad it went well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas!

    Glad all went well. I bang my head on a table for you. Because if you weren't an intelligent, articulate person, what in heck would they have done with you? Gah.

    Don't stop taking the drugs in the next few days just because you feel fine. They're the reason you feel fine. Trust me on this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy to know it all went ok. Have a great Christmas! I'm sure you've been a good girl, so Santa will spoil you with lots of good stuff! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmmm opiates. gotta love that kind of fuzzy Christmas. I hope that your Christmas present is an end to all of this and now it is all systems go.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! Glad it went well...after the inevitable confusion and fright. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm just catching up on posts now, in my post-holiday stupor. I read yesterday's with a sinking feeling in my gut, wondering if you'd arrived at the hospital only to have a kidney removed. So glad that the answer to that is no.

    The drugs are the best part of surgery. By far. As someone who had a difficult time falling asleep, it's such a damned novelty. One minute you're bright and perky and the nextzzzzzzzzz. Hope you're recuperating nicely. And, most of all, that the scrape brings a plan of action.

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!