Wednesday, 11 August 2010

Re-coiled

The coil is now in.

I'd love to tell you it was a quick and painless procedure but it was neither.

The Doctor, trying to put me at ease, had clearly been to too many hairdressers. She attempted to distract me from her vaginal probing by asking about my holidays. I half expected her to remark on how well my haircut had lasted since last time, and no, I am not talking about the hair on my head.

Apparently my cervix was "spasming" with pain which meant it took three attempts to get the coil through.

I left feeling nauseous and decided work could do without me for the rest of the day.

The consultant who first briefed me told me something that I guess I have known since this appointment in January 2009, but haven't let myself think about.

It is highly likely that, once I have had my fill of children (assuming I get that far), I will have to have a hysterectomy. I don't know why just writing those words is making me cry. The doctors are going to do all they can to ensure I have my quota of children, and once they are born I will have no further need for my uterus anyway.

I'm sure there are lots of positives. Not for me a long drawn out menopause, or a late in life surprise baby. I'll save a fortune on tampons and if the ancient Greeks are to be believed I'll no longer be prone to hysteria - so I imagine I won't have to be slapped smartly in the face or doused with water on a regular basis. (To be fair I am not prone to hysteria much at the moment, but one never knows how the weaker sex will react in any given situation).

But not thinking that far ahead the good news is I already have a date for the removal of the coil (3 November) and the biopsy. So at least I won't have the same difficulty getting it out as I have had getting it in.

I will mostly be spending tonight standing up my friends I was supposed to meet, curled up on the sofa, eating take away, watching a film and feeling just a little bit sorry for myself. But never fear, I'll snap out of it soon and normal service will be resumed.



20 comments:

  1. Oh you poor thing. Of course you feel like crying, especially after the awful day you've had. ("spasming with pain"! Bloody hell! OW.)

    Go easy on yourself. You are dealing with A Lot.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh lady, I'm so sorry to hear that. This journey is such a rollercoaster and that news is just so unfair. Have a good old wallow in things this evening and don't forget to have some vino with that take away...

    Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch! When this solves the problem, it will almost be worth the discomfort.

    I don't blame you for feeling sad about the possible (probable?) future loss of your uterus. It's quite a daunting prospect. Just as long as they wait until you've had as many children as you want...

    Hope you're back in form soon. Spasming cervix? *shudders*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch doesn't begin to cover it. Good that it is in now though. I am sorry about the possible endgame, not great at all and more reason fo them to bloody get on with things in the children dept.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, what a harsh day. You're a brave lady!Sofa, take-out, movie - it all sounds very comforting. I hope you are feeling a bit better. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, poor love. None of this is easy sailing. Bloody Ocean.

    I have to confess, I have been looking forward to my hysterectomy since the age of 11, when my period pain first doubled me in half. I am fuly intending to have a 'Goodbye Uteri!' party, the night before my op, too. But I've had nearly 25 years to get used to the notion that the Innards aren't welcome for the duration. I can see how it would be a shock coming to terms with the idea. Uteri are, after all, fairly fundamental to the whole womanhood thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch, hope you feel better soon.
    I know how you feel, I have been told I will most prob need a hysterectomy later on as my endo is bad. Lets hope we can get our baby quota in first
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. My uterus cringes when reading this! Glad the deed is done and hoping for à spectacular result!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got a Paragard (similar to Mirena, no hormones though) put in about a month and a half ago and it was MISERABLE. I threw up, came thisclose to passing out, and almost pooped my pants. All within about 90 minutes after they put it in. Yeah. I'm definitely feeling your pain! Take it easy today & tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what an ordeal. I'm glad it's in, though. The prospect of hysterectomy is daunting, for sure. But first thing's first: kidlets. "Highly likely" isn't "absolutely-positively", right? I mean, hey, I had glasses from age 2 1/2 until age 7, at which point, unexpectedly, my eyes had gotten better. I don't wear glasses or contacts now, 25 years later. So who knows, maybe you have a magical self-healing uterus? If ovens can do it, why not your lady parts?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, my gosh, I have to admit I was crossing my legs reading this, you poor thing and i can so understand you feeling emotional about a future hysterectomy.
    Hope you feel better after a night on the sofa, do have lots of chocolate. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that sounds not so much fun. At least you finally GOT it. That's a positive, right?

    I totally understand the sadness over future surgery. IF is fraught with so much loss, and I'm sorry that you will have to face this even in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally grimaced reading about the coil, Liz. I hate that you need this thing, but I'm also glad that you're moving forward with it and have this timeline set up. Reading about the probability of a future hysterectomy socked me in the gut...

    Thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ouch! I just had mine replaced a few months ago. The first time I had one inserted almost 6 years ago (at 8 weeks post partum) I barely felt it. This time I was in agony from when the gynae *removed* the old one. Then came the cervix spasms and it took another 5 goes to get the thing in. It was simIlar to labour pain!
    I can't tell you how much I'm hoping that the "quota" come quickly and without further fuss.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry missus. Hope you're feeling better today...x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sorry. And while it's great that they want to ensure that you hit your baby quota, it's also a terrible thing to contemplate. And not fair, though that word doesn't really have a lot of applications to our situations. I am hoping, very hard, that if it ever comes down to a hysterectomy, you have a house full of children to come home to. Though I do realize that it won't undo the loss of (a very important) part of you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ugh.. I'm so sorry you received this news. Really, how many punches to the gut does one woman need?!

    Glad you got that coil in. Sorry it was painful.

    Here's to a better (near) future!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thinking of you and sending (gently) hugs. I'm sorry you are in so much pain.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ow ow ow. Wine? Codeine? Chocolate? Perhaps pick just two...

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!