I don't think infertility is a joking matter, but I do think it is essential to keep joking about it - otherwise you'll live your life in a wasteland of despair (which, coincidentally, is my pet name for my womb).
One area where I think we could do with a little help is the vocabulary we use to discuss infertility. The terms are either resoundingly medicalised (endometriosis, anovulation, polycystic ovarian syndrome), the quaintly biblical (barren) or the plain stark (sterile).
This is where I think the blokes have it right. They aren't shy of the comedic terms for their downstairs issues, exhibit:
So I've been trying to think up with some alternatives for us.
- Jaffa - a seedless orange
- Starting Pistol - firing blanks.
This is what I have so far:
- Bermuda Uterus - a uterus that has loads going in, but nothing coming out, like the famous Triangle
- Vegan Breakfast - no eggs
- Stonehenge Syndrome - for unexplained infertility - also applicable: Pyramid, Big Foot, Loch Ness, Crop Circles
- Taj Mahal - Looks great from the outside not a lot going on inside
- White Elephant - no, I'm not referring to a pallid, over-fleshed body, rather an object that costs an awful lot to maintain (you spent how much on acupuncture?!) for no useful result
- Mule - A naturally infertile beast that spends its days humping (in their case humping stuff around, in our case just fruitlessly humping).
Any other ideas?