Wednesday, 14 July 2010

Age Cannot Wither Her (Eggs)

Today I turn thirty four*.

I am a year away from that demon age. The age heralded by the media as point at which our eggs hurl themselves off the cliff of fertility like over-ambitious lemmings.

I didn't think I would be here, coming up to four years of our conception campaign with nothing to show for it other than the ability to pee on ovulation tests with an unerring accuracy, even when half asleep. By now, if things had gone to plan I would have a three year old, a one year old and the husband and I would be deciding whether three was a crowd or a brood.

I fully expected to have done all my breeding by the time I reached 35. At this rate I'll be lucky to have given birth to one child by then.

But funnily enough this birthday doesn't fill me with dread. I am not actually worried about aging.

Because I have finally reached the realisation that age is not the problem.

Not all women are created equal. Some can happily pop out children until well into their forties without any medical assistance. Others, despite being manifestly healthy, seem incapable of even starting off one little embryo, let alone seeing it through to birth. I fall into the latter camp.

And although my infertility is unexplained there are certain things that have been ruled out.

I have more eggs than Faberge** and my AMH result was deemed "exceptional" by my Doctor. Indicating I have the ovarian reserves of a woman younger than myself. Careering towards thirty five clearly has less of an impact on fertility than my uninhabitable womb. Sure, age will affect my ability to procreate at some stage in the not too distant future, but it certainly isn't the key inhibitor and hopefully, by the time it does start to have an impact on my egg reserves, I'll have finished any kind of treatment, either with or without success.

And as for the other stuff, wrinkles, grey hair ... dementia that is more of a problem for the husband who has to look at me all day, as long as I avoid mirrors I can still kid myself I'm 24. Certainly I haven't matured since then (as my disgraceful behaviour last Saturday proved).

So today I will celebrate. I've got the day off work, as has my twin sister, and we are going to go to a gallery, have a posh lunch and have a pedicure. So don't feel sorry for me today, if anyone deserves your sympathy it is the poor pedicurist.

*This post is cunningly scheduled to be published at six twenty four - the exact time of my birth.

** Actually a quick google just revealed that there were only around 60 made, so them and all the fakes as well.


32 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! Have a good 'un. Hope it's a vintage year for you. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy, happy birthday!

    (Excellent news about the AMH levels. You go, Faberge girl!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! I'm so glad you're happy about it and that your current age really doesn't spell fertility-doom for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday.

    Your day sounds like it'll be a good one - Enjoy the posh nosh and pedicure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, your sister is your twin AND has the same birthday, cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday! Enjoy it thoroughly.

    (Paffouey - 34 is YOUNG! That doom stat about eggs all launching themselves off a cliff at 35 is a load of twaddle. About as much use as knowing the average height when reaching for a shelf.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Happy Birthday WFI. Have a really great day and here's hoping for a great year for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's exactly the attitude you should have. Enough of this fertility cliff thing. And, to echo Twangypearl, 34 really IS young. I hope you have a marvelous day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday!! I hope you have a wonderful day and a very happy year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday! Sounds like you have a great day planned - enjoy! Wishing you lots of continued love & happinesss!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday! I hope you and your sister enjoy your day.

    Age is but a number and the eggs will throw themselves off the cliff whenever they feel like it (look! They act like children already! You have no control over them!).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday. And fwiw, 34 is SOOO young!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thirty four was an awesome year for me. Have a very happy birthday. I am in envy of those lovely eggs and I expect great things from them this year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Happy Birthday! I turned 35 in Feb so I hope my eggs aren't throwing themself off a cliff or I will have to jump after them trying to catch them as I fall.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday...my B-day is today too! Hope you enjoy your fabulous day with your sister:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday! Have fun with your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  17. happy happy birthday!!! i really hope you get your birthday wish this year :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy, happy birthday! It sounds like you'd planned a wonderful day - hope you enjoyed your celebrations.

    And that's excellent news about your AMH levels as well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. birthday greetings!

    i have lots of faith in your story...mine was oh so similar and here i am 35 with a longed for ivf bambino. so keep believing. and enjoy that sleep while you can still get it. next year will be oh so different mrs! x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Belated happy birthday. Sure you're only a young whipper snapper compared to me. Oh to be 34 again *Jane goes all misty eyed*

    ReplyDelete
  21. A belated Happy Birthday. I hope you had a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birthday, pretty lady!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy birthday! I hope you had a good day and that the pedicure was amazing :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hope you had a Happy Birthday, your planned day sounded lovely!! Your eggs are poached compared to my scrambled ones ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy belated! Hope you had a lovely day, and that it's the start of a highly (re)productive year. Just started reading; you're a great writer!

    Take good care,
    lady pumpkin
    plantingapumpkinpatch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!