Friday, 19 February 2010

I Am A Winner!

No, the title isn't the self-affirming mantra that I chant to myself in front of the mirror each morning (I prefer "I am a strong, confident, beautiful woman").

I don't normally win things. As I have bemoaned before on this blog. Whenever chance comes to play any lottery or lucky dip type scenario I don't even end up with the wooden spoon. I get nothing.

However, I have learnt to play to my strengths. And, to that end, a few weeks ago I entered a Valentines poetry competition and I got an email this morning informing me that I had won.

Ok, calling it a poetry competition might, perhaps, endow it with a level of literary gravitas that is it possibly not worthy of.

I had to write a love poem.

To a car.

To a hire car.

Happy now?

But, before you hang your heads in shame on my behalf I win an overnight spa break at Champneys. (Which for those of you who don't know it is a very plush chain of Spa hotel's in the UK.) And quite frankly the end result is well worth prostituting my craft for.

And the resulting 'work' was a piece I think Shakespeare himself would have been proud of. In fact, it would be fair to say it owes a debt of gratitude to the Bard.

The entry can be seen here.

In the few hours since finding out about the trip the husband has already begged not to be my plus one. Apparently the idea of a massage, facial, swimming and exercise classes is his idea of hell. Fool.

Which means two things - 1) I need to choose between my other very worthy friends to work out who to take and 2) I'd better not choose a time when I might be ovulating.

The only other problem I have now is I've got to drive there.




18 comments:

  1. Congratulations!

    *volunteers, selflessly*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe, this is too cute. :)

    Your husband is INDEED a fool. Doesn't he understand that an uber relaxed and pampered Liz is, like, a miracle prescription for getting him laid?

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you wouldn't want to take the husband anyway, you want someone who can DRIVE!

    And a prize for talent is inifintely better that a prize for just being lucky. Apart from Euromillions night.

    Have a lovely weekend,

    G x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You lucky devil winning the Champneys Spa break. I'm as green as your header right now.
    Congrats on winning.. enjoy the break!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! The prize sounds fantastic - enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, you lucky thing. And I think the bard would indeed be proud - he strikes me as a man who would appreciate a little luxury and pampering (even if your husband doesn't!). Kudos on your meter and rhyme, by the way:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You clever, clever, WITTY girl. Congratulations!

    Your husband is indeed a fool. Bah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clearly you need to choose a friend who is willing to drive AND praise your beautiful masterpiece. (I really like the part about the newly tuned radio.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice one. I'm with Finch, choose a friend who can drive you. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! What a great prize, enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jealous, jealous, jealous!! What a great prize to win! I liked the "flickering on thine automotive face". Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! The last thing I won was an Easter egg when I was in primary 2 :-(

    Enjoy your prize...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE driving. Especially to Spa's...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats! Very creative and entertaining (as always). I think the price for taking someone with you is that they do the driving. I assure you there will be plenty of volunteers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. congrats, I love the thought of checking in for hours of massage and pampering *jealous*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations! Enjoy the pampering! I have an award for you over on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just fly me there and I will go with you. I will even DRIVE.

    Congrats babe.

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!