Tuesday, 19 January 2010

WTHHNPIVF

I was trying to decide today whether I had PMT or whether my life really was unutterably shit with no hope of anything going right, or getting better.

Ever.

A quick glance at the old P Tracker informed me that I have but two days until my period is due. Which to me seems pretty conclusive that it was the hormones talking, because my life isn't shit, not by a long shot. (Don't worry this isn't going to be one of those 'Why I Am Thankful' posts, I still haven't snapped out of my grump but at least I can acknowledge it for what it is).

Adding fuel to my bad mood is that my next trip to the Doctor to discuss 'What The Hell Happens Next? Probably IVF' (Hereafter known as WTHHNPIVF, hence the title (following Xbox's lead in incomprehensible titles)) is weeks away.

I just don't understand how it can be. My appointment is at the start of February, we are careering towards the end of January, yet I still have three weeks to wait. (It is on the 9th of Feb).

I feel like I have dived into some time space continuum. Forget anti-aging creams, just hang out with me and I can make a week feel like a lifetime (it has been said before).

Anyhow in the three weeks prior to WTHHNPIVF I need to work out exactly what I should be asking my Doctor about. And you guys did all the hard work for me last time I asked, so I'm going to lean on you again.

As far as I know I have been tested for the following:

  • Hysteroscopy
  • HIV, Hep B & C - These don't really affect my ability to have children but might make me question my options a little more - thankfully negative
  • Follicle Stimulating Hormone level = 3.1 (for the novices out there, generally under 6 is cosidered no problem whatsoever, it is once it gets over ten that they start to get concerned and above 13 time to worry)
  • Luteinizing Hormone = 6.8 (from what I can glean on the web generally LH level is supposed to be about the same as FSH and if it is much bigger it is generally an indication of Polycycstic ovaries - well no shit, I've got them and this doesn't hugely worry me. For the last six months I've been ovulating without a problem, so I'm not really concerned.)

So what am I missing? I've literally got armfulls of blood here I'm happy to give up a few vials for medical science and, you know, answers.

I wonder, as the main thing that they have found wrong with me is womb-lining related, whether a laparoscopy might shed some light on the situation.

The husband meanwhile has had his swimmers tested during every IUI and the nurses seem as ecstatic with the results as he was when he produced the sample. Which is encouraging.

Lorna suggested a DNA fragmentation test. So I might see if the Doctor thinks that is something worth looking into. Anything more they should check him out for?

Any suggestions would be very gratefully received.



17 comments:

  1. Have you considered looking into your immunology, thyroid, blood clotting etc? I came back clear from all other tests only to discover problems with my immune system, which meant any pregnancy would be unlikely to "stick". Solutions are often relatively simple things like aspirin and steroids, though some people require IVIg too.

    The issue is that NHS only does basic immune testing - you generally have to go private to get the full set of immunes tests and they're expensive (I paid ~£800). Search for reproductive immunology, Dr Alan Beer (the doctor who originally led the research in this area), recurrent miscarriage and you'll get lots of info about tests that might be applicable to you. Note that the RCOG do not approve this area yet, so there's still controversy about it all.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Positive sperm count is like a double edged sword for me. It's great for fertility purposes, but then it just pisses me off because its all my fault. It would be nice if his sperm weren't always so great, just so I could feel like it was a little more even. Oh well, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had all the tests with no real explanation for anything. But I wanted to mention that for PCOS my doctor has me on Metformin (even though I haven't proven insulin resistance) and lo-dose aspirin. The Metformin helped me ovulate on my own this cycle (amazing!) and I've heard that PCOSers can have clotting issues, so the aspirin is just a "won't hurt, might help" thing. Best of luck on your appointment. I'm looking forward to hearing the new plan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When ever I've made lists of questions to take to the doctor, he's had the list of answers more or less prepared before I even had a chance to ask. I know this isn't a very helpful comment, except to say that your doctor probably already has an idea of what went wrong and what to try next. If not, those other people seem to have some good ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll add a vote for checking immunology.
    I'm assuming you've also had a "lap & dye" already ???

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just had a karyotype test, but I think it is only on the docket after a failed IVF cycle. Hopefully you won't get there. I second (third?) the immunology idea and am going to ask my doctor if I ever had that. I feel like I MUST have given the ridiculous amount of blood they took. Good luck and love the new acronym.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't believe we are at the same point. Think af is due today or tomorrow and on the 1st feb I have a WTHHNPIVF appointment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck, my friend. I wish I had some information for you but your posse are on that anyway.
    But hey, if you ever need to know anything about cartoons, I'm yer woman.

    I owe you one after my lovely present of last week. Keep in mind if you are ever stuck for a present or something.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thyroid function and TSH levels. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll add to the people saying immunology, thyroid & clotting... although I have no idea what the NHS does and what stage of failure they will do it... god that sounds awful - you know what I mean though, they sometimes won't test for things until something else has failed, no harm asking though and you might luck out with a proactive doc.

    I'm guessing they've fully explored the lining issues and the effect on implantation - maybe check that there's nothing else there that they can do/test.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was actually curious about why you hadn't had a lap. But then, I'm like, LAPS FOR EVERYONE. I assumed it wasn't something they bothered with if you have PCOS. All the immune stuff sounds like an excellent idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Antisperm Antibody Test??
    http://www.webmd.com/infertility-and-reproduction/antisperm-antibody-test

    ReplyDelete
  13. Check that you are putting it in the right hole. I'm told that's important.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, The Shelia, will certainly ask about Thyrid and immunology (even if the NHS don’t fund testing I can at least get an opinion on whether they think it is worth investgating – though have not had a chance to see if an embryo will stick yet).
    Busted, Until they define something specific (rather than the ‘fixables’ they’ve found so far) that is wrong with me, stopping me getting pregnant the jury is still ‘out’ on fault.
    Thanks Lea, I’ve heard Met can help, although to be honest the last six months I’ve been unbelievably regular so I wonder if my pcos is taking a back seat for now.

    That, Finch, would be my perfect senario. But just in case …

    If Lap is Laporrscopy Corymbia, the no, I haven’t


    Never heard of Karyotype, Gracie, will check it out with Dr Google first.

    We are totally in sync Nic, lets hope it works for both of us.

    You owe me nothing Twangy, but cheers xx.

    Yes Caroline, I get it. Sheesh. (For the rest of you, ever since I told her about this blog she has been banging on about bloody thyroids!)

    I know exactly what you mean Serendipity, they won’t throw all there resources at you until you’ve proved you need it!

    You should get badges made Bunny!

    Interesting Anon, will check it out

    What do you mean Xbox? Next you are going to say it isn’t normal not to be able to sit down after sex.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The NHS tend not to investigate antibodies, clotting etc. unless you've had at least two, 'preferably' (I quote my doctor. No, I did not hit him with a chair (WHY did I not hit him with a chair? We may never know)) three miscarriages.

    As for DNA fragmentation, well, they gave me the impression they really, REALLY don't investigate that if they can help it. These tests are EXPENSIVE, man. And the DNA thing is apparantly rare, hence NHS reluctance to toy with it.

    However, you CAN get the thyroid checked out by nagging your GP. When you nag, insist on the the full TSH, T4, T3 panel. Often they'll only test the one (I can't remember which one) and it doesn't give a clear picture. My mother has a thyroid the size of a freakin' tangerine and the one they most commonly test was coming back normal.

    As for the rest, well, you probably will have to go private.

    Oh, and 7dpo progesterone. That one might be worth checking. If it's persistently low, it can easily, if messily, be medicated, and low progesterone is a PCOS trick even if the ovaries are laying on schedule.

    Good luck. And here endeth this evening's dose of assvice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh, good luck!! Sorry, i haven't a clue re what things you should be asking about except for that DNA thingy. A friend of mine in the UK has had 2 failed IUIs and one failed IVF and they are in the process of a cycle now to use the frozen embryos. She enquired about this test too to be told they do do it but they have to go to East London hosp for it. So far, the docs haven't found anything wrong with either of them which has been frustrating too so in one way, they are sort of 'hoping' that this test will provide some answers. Sperm tests have always been fine so it will be interesting to hear how they get on. But hopefully they will be able to eliminate it and all will be fine.
    The test cost us €400 but the second test will be free apparently (and will be done after 3 months of treatment)

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!