Friday, 10 July 2009

Two's company

The husband and I have a problem.

This problem isn't as a result of lack of intimacy, it isn't a reflection of our relationship, it isn't even infertility.

The problem is a result of a combination of being pretty sociable people and being utterly disorganised.

It means that in the 14 ish years we have been a couple, other than the odd weekend away, we have only had two holidays without other people - one of which was our honeymoon.

This is because we tend to wait for other people to suggest places to go and join them rather than pulling our own fingers out and planning our own break. Fairly typical are the holidays that we have taken since I started this blog:

Case Study A: A rented house in the south of England with 14 adults and 1 three year old, 2 two year olds, 1 one year old, 2 under ones and two in the womb and the dog.

Case Study B
: This had potential to be a couple holiday and indeed the first four days in Alba were. Then we carried on down to Rome where some friends lived and spent the remaining time with them.

Case Study C
: This trip was taken with two other couples, I think I booked the flights - which for me is pretty impressive - luckily there was someone else on hand to sort the hotel.

When we realised at the end of January we had six months of waiting we decided we'd have a holiday in July, just before the coil came out. You may not recognise the significance of this statement.

WE. DECIDED. IN. JANUARY.

We weren't told by anyone else when we should join them on holiday.

We had a good six months head-start on any normal planning we do.

Initially the plan was to see friends in Brussels and Germany. But then we had a change of heart.

This might be the last time we have the option to go away - just the two of us. The last time we get to travel hand-luggage only without a buggy, and enough nappies to soak up Lake Titicaca.

I'll be celebrating my 33rd birthday out there and birthdays really aren't the same without my twin sister so you have to appreciate it took a Herculian effort not to invite her and her husband along too.

Of course, I know it might not be the last holiday with just the two of us, I don't want to tempt fate. I'm trying to balance being positive with managing expectations.

But regardless, the plan for this holiday - in the north of Spain - is to chill out, and yes, relax, to just enjoy hanging out with the husband. And for once, if this holiday goes quickly it won't be that bad because it will mean the time until the coil is removed is reduced.

So we are off on holiday, for a week, just the two of us.

I'm taking bets on whether we are still talking by the end of the holiday.


7 comments:

  1. You go on more holidays than my barber.

    Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful holiday! And Happy Birthday!

    We do the same thing. I don't know why I always have to drag friends and family along with me. It's exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a barber, Xbox? Gosh, I always just assumed from looking at your pic that you cut your own hair.

    You don't pay him do you?

    Thanks Stacey. It is exhausting isn't it? Every time when I'm waiting for folk to get their shit together I think never again, and then I forget...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great holiday and birthday and try not to get offside with the husband...you do need his sperm still lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a good break and a great birthday. Look forward to reading all about it when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Giveaway at ttcconnections.blogspot.com! It's sweet! Pass it on!

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!