Sunday, 24 May 2009

Happy Blogoversary to me

For the first three minutes of its life this blog was called Wombache, then I saw sense.

I started this blog because I felt lonely. I have lots of friends but at the time I only knew of one who was having difficulty conceiving. I wanted to find people going through the same thing as me. I wanted to hear about how they coped. But I couldn't find any. (I know, God knows what search term I was using, infertility bloggers are like pregnant women - they are everywhere as soon as you start looking).

But Wombache? It was just too damn depressing. Yes, the infertility does get me down but who wants to read one long moan? Let’s face it, infertility is fucking shit but it isn’t life threatening and I refuse to let it take over my life.

So I try to write about infertility with a light touch. I try and keep a sense of humour about it. I hope the title reflects this, that and my love of puns.

If I am honest I didn’t expect the blog to last. I had a sneaking suspicion that I was over-reacting and I would get pregnant any day. I thought I’d loose interest as I have with so many other hobbies (knitting, millinery, playing the trumpet). I thought I’d run out of things to write about.

My journey over the past year has been characterised by complete inactivity. I’ve had a few investigations but I haven’t knowingly ovulated since March 2008, and since October I’ve had to be on contraception of one form of the other. I don’t even have the will we/ won’t we of the two week wait to write about. There has been a fair amount of barrel scraping.

So why do I keep going? It is you lot. I started because I couldn’t find anyone going through similar experiences but pretty quickly I got linked in to the whole community of infertile bloggers. There is hope when you read about people who have gone through seven kinds of shit and finally get pregnant. There is support when you have a terrible test result. There are the brilliant comments when you write something that captures the imagination.

I started the blog to write about my feelings, to keep (close) friends up-to-date with the daily machinations of my uterus and to precipitate a pregnancy.

One year on I keep writing this blog because of the comments, feedback and because I feel a real connection with my readers (the majority of whom write blogs that I read).

So thanks guys for continuing to drop by, and hopefully come August things will get a bit more interesting around here.

What about you? Why did you start blogging – and what keeps you going?

(And those of you who notice a few posts from before 25 May 2008 - I added them later whilst I was trying to clear up my side bar and I don't know how to put an undated post in.)


19 comments:

  1. Happy blogoversary!!! I'm so glad you are still blogging. Too many times you have lightened my day!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy blogoversary! So glad you've stuck it out. And I'm hoping that things will get REALLY exciting come August!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy blogoversary! I love the way you write, you have a wicked sense of humour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As above.
    I love your style of writing and interesting topics.
    Thank you for sharing womby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Blogoversary.
    Add me to the list of your devoted fans who come here just to read what delight you've written for us....even when the subject matter has me in tears.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To your all,
    Och! Shut up! *Kicks dust, blushes, high fives self* This post wasn't supposed to be a big fish for compliments (even though reading back I can see where you might have got the idea). I seriously want to know what was it that made you decide to blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy blogoversary! You have given me many laugh out loud moments in the past ten months or so. Keep it up, and hopefully sometime soon you will be blogging about the comedic side of pregnancy and motherhood.

    Why did I start blogging? I had been commenting on Feebee and Xbox's blogs for a few months, and then I just thought, what the hell, I might as well do this too. I'm glad I did, it's like the grown up equivalent of the angst ridden teenage diary of yesteryear. Although hopefully with less of the cringe factor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a bit surprised to see it's ONLY been a year, for some reason you seem to have been around longer.

    That should be a compliment, of sorts.

    Why did I start? I forget.
    Why do I still? Spite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know Jane. I do wonder whether in a few years time I'll read back and cringe as much as I do with my old diaries. But I'm also very glad I'm documenting this time in my life, so I'll never forget the struggles.

    And you Xbox, you're such a bitch! I know exactly what you mean ... but I'll forgive you as the first blog that I discovered, and the first to add me to their blog roll.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for you! :D We've been happy to have you!

    There is a post options link in the compose section of your blog, that if you click it you can change dates. I don't know if you can have it UNdated, but you can change it.

    I, too, resisted starting a blog at first because I was sure I'd just have to stop it again when I got pregnant. Then I got pregnant for about five minutes and realized that it may not be so easy as all that. A few years later, here I am. :)

    I hope when that coil comes out, things start truckin'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy belated Blogoversary. I was never a blogger. I couldn't see the novelty of it all but when I started that was it!
    Thanks for the lovely comment on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Blogoversary! It is a pleasure to read your posts.

    I was a bit like you, when I originally searched for IF blogs I couldn't find any! I actually started one before the current one but deleted it out of pure frustration. Not writing a blog left me with lots of issues so I started another one. I try not to whinge and moan all the time but I find it difficult. I don't have your wit or sarcasm and I often feel like billy no mates but I am very grateful for my one faithful commenter, so thank you WFI. I'm looking forward to the next few months, things will surely get exciting for you. If not, you'll still keep us hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Rebecca

    Cheers Barb, I can change the date, but don't know how to remove it altogether. Good luck with your ongoing bump.

    It can be a bit addictive can't it Carolyne?

    Ta Decade,

    Awe Secret D, I enjoy reading your posts, and I think you are far more honest than me. You are an undiscovered gem.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats! I'm glad you've continued your efforts.
    I started blogging to announce my pregnancy. But when a miscarriage ensued, I continued blogging to vent about the following infertility. And every now and then I manage to say something clever.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love reading your posts full of wit and sarcasm!

    I started my blog as a way to vent my feelings (rather than repeating myself to DH). And a place where I could write whatever the heck I want and not get judged. It's my "who cares!" place.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think my why is above like Ramblers :)

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!