Tuesday, 31 March 2009

More Lessons

What I learnt whilst babysitting for my nephews this weekend:
  • To make a 3 year old laugh: tickle him with really cold, outside-frozen hands
  • To make a 4 month old cackle and wriggle with laughter: smile at him and keep ducking around
  • How my sister got rid of her pregnancy weight so quickly
  • I no longer have house envy for my sisters tall and narrow 4 story town house, my little flat is great
  • If a baby's bedroom is on the fourth floor and you are in the basement kitchen you need a baby alarm to hear the cries
  • If a baby cries in his bedroom and you have even the vaguest idea he might be hungry it might be a good idea to take the bottle upstairs with you
  • If you are cuddling a crotchety recently awoken baby and nothing you can do will make him settle try clumping down four flights of steps with him to the kitchen to get his bottle
  • A fantastic way of getting a baby back off to sleep is to carry him down four flights of steps
  • Sleeping babies weigh more when you carry them back up four flights of stairs
  • There is nothing nicer than cuddling a tiny little baby as he softly snores into the bit where your neck meets your body
  • I still quite want a baby
  • Or two
  • A lot.



13 comments:

  1. Amen sister!!!
    Thanks for passing on these lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good exercise! I like the the last 4 points the best. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got tired just reading that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok so I was like half way down the list before I finally figured out how your sister lost all her pregnancy weight. That does sound like an awful lot of stairs. I always thought I wanted a house with an upstairs until I remembered that duh I'd have to go up and down them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's another rule you might want to tuck away for future reference:

    Babies can tell when your knees are bent even if they are not even in the same room.

    If you have been walking around in circles at 2am with their 100 kg dead weight on your shoulder and think they are nearly asleep and decide to sit down, they will know and wake up instantly. Similarly if you've actually got them into bed and they are sleeping and you think I'll just do "x" and then go to bed, they will know the minute your knees bend as you sit down and they will wake up instantly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anything to help, Jim and Jenn

    Xbox, That's the problem with the 'dam, they're all tall and thin.

    Sarah, thanks

    Me too Lea

    Bottoms Off, I had stiff legs the next day.

    Murgdan, I know it doesn't really help does it.

    battynurse, I'm sure it went over a few people's heads.

    They're sneaky little critters aren't they? Corymbia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Duh! I only copped on at the end about the pregnancy weight. Am a bit slow today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear that you still want to procreate after all that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your site, how could i subscribe for a blog site?
    The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of
    this your broadcast offered bright clear concept
    my webpage: wild thumbs

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!