Saturday, 21 February 2009

Lest we forget

The part of of London that I live in is a place whose history is evidenced by the white slabs of smart Georgian houses punctuated by brown, squat, 1960's edifices plugging the gaps left by the blitz.

There is a memorial, just a few minutes walk from my flat, remembering the 15 of October 1940 when 109 people were killed in a bomb blast.

It seems so remote, irrelevant, another world. Unthinkable that once the streets of London witnessed the terror, devastation, loss of life that we associate with distant sand-blasted countries and conflicts.

Yesterday underground pipe work was being done in our council estate. They found an unexploded second world war bomb. Residents were evacuated and bomb disposal workers brought in.

69 years on and suddenly it doesn't seem so distant anymore.



10 comments:

  1. woah. that would be so surreal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly brings things into perspective huh?
    The blitz seems so distant and hard to fathom to us here in Australia, yet every time I read a book/ watch a movie/ tv program etc on the blitz I'm floored by the devastation. And by the spirit of the British.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan, it is totally surreal. Also what I didn't mention in the post was my first reaction was 'that is so cool' then I started to wonder when it had been dropped, did a bit of research and it started to feel much more upsetting - maybe its the hormones!

    It usually seems just as distant here Amanda, and you lot over in the colonies have show your fair share of pluck over the past few weeks.

    Why thank you Rebound Girl, always nice to be loved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's strange for me coming from the 7th most peaceful country in the world and currently living in a country with a long history of neutrality, to read actual stories like the one you described. Definitely puts life in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. That's so amazing. Even though it's farther back, I am always amazed that we had a revolution AND a civil war right here on this soil. It seems very distant and impossible, like you said. I love history.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had the same situation a few weeks ago. My school was evacuated because of an unexploded bomb from II World War.

    Saying that, it happens on a monthly basis over here. You could set your watch by it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. And let's not forget the bus bombings on July 7, 2005 that killed 52 and injured over 700.

    It's not so distant at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leo, now I am intriguied what the other 6 countries are.

    Oh yeah, Barb, you kicked us out, don't worry I don't hold a grudge.

    That's Eastern europe for you, Mick.

    Very true Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1-Iceland
    2-Denmark
    3-Norway
    4-New Zealand
    5-Japan
    6-Ireland
    7-Portugal
    8-Finland
    9-Luxembourg
    10-Austria

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!