Sunday, 4 January 2009

New year, new me

I actually found deciding on resolutions a bit tricky this year.

As I have mentioned previously, I think I should shift a bit of excess baggage (I mean weight rather than the husband, he is still quite important at this juncture). But I'm not about to make that a New Year's resolution for the simple fact that where would that leave me come 2010? Finished that resolution now I can chub up again? I don't think so. I will try and lose weight but not as a resolution.

Then there is the perennial giving up alcohol. Check. I'm looking at a dry January stretched out in front of me. Four days down, 27 to go. My resolve was somewhat strengthened by the happenings of New Years day. How did the husband put it to his Mum? "She was blowing chunks on the pavement." I resent that, I actually projected over the pavement and puked in the flowerbed beyond. Yup, a 32 year old woman had to get her father-in-law to pull the car over so I could leap out and chunder like a 14 year old. What can I say? I am a classy, classy bird.

But the alcohol abstinence is only for January so that doesn't really count as a year's worth of resolution. (Caveat: of course if by some miracle - or sex - I do get pregnant in January I will continue on the wagon for the remainder of the pregnancy).

So I have a long-term life-style plan and a short term January project.

What are your resolutions? (And have you broken any yet?)

***********

Those of you who have been teetering on a knife’s edge waiting, wondering, even straining, to know whether the Provera has worked. I can now exclusively reveal, my period started about an hour ago.

And so far … its not bad. Not bad at all.

Not much more than a mild stomach ache before hand and no pains just now. But I know my body can be a tricksy little thing so I’m not going to believe I have got off lightly (light, geddit?) until I make it through tomorrow.


11 comments:

  1. My new year's resolution is to stop putting things off because I might get pregnant before completing them...dieting, vacations, taking advantage of opportunities at work...

    We'll see how it goes.

    Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no - eeewww

    Resolutions are hard ...wish lists are iffy and can be re hashed...to try lists even better (at least I tried)
    Me, I am doing a mixture of personal commandments ...these last infinitely (?)and stuff I know I can tick off the list...to get organised will last me a lifetime.

    Good luck on a dry January ...and when the time comes your resolve will be strengthened by the fact you did it already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh - on the wagon.
    As someone who's spent a fair amount of time on the wagon of late (for child-related reasons), the upside is that I can now get almost completely smashed on two glasses of wine. That's something for you to look forward to.

    I don't do resolutions as such because they make me look too bad when I don't achieve them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that projectile vomiting is a great sign of a very successful New Year's Eve. It was actually my goal this year - ha ha.

    No resolutions...just an attempt to try and think about the more positive aspects of my life, instead of my empty uterus.

    Working on it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really haven't thought about any resolutions for this year. In fact, I'm trying not to think too far ahead at all.

    Like you, I don't put weight loss down as a resolution but I will be working in January to remove the excess that I so easily put on over the festive period. I would ideally like to lose another 7lbs beyond that but I am in no rush.

    It's good to hear that you had such a merry New Year and thanks for the update on the period, I was wondering how you were doing (feel a bit odd for wondering if a fellow blogger has got her period yet and whether it is the mutha of all periods!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My resolution for the new year?

    1280 X 640...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely, Megan, there's so many things that don't really seem worth starting, because you are bound to be pregnant. Then, doh!

    Hi Trish, yeah having things that can be ticked off is quite a good way of getting a sense of achievement.


    Amanda,I am quite looking forward to being a cheap date.

    Leslie, Sign of a great New year's Eve, but very, very painful New Year's Day.

    Secret D, Yes, very werid to be wondering about internet people's periods/ ovulation dates/ timed shagging and, of course, pregnancy tests. But we all do it.

    Xbox, You have excelled yourself. I don't have a clue what you are on about. I've even just had to google 819 200.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A tenner says hubby will get it....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Withing a fraction of a second, X, pixels on screen? Ha, ha, ha (plus a slow hand clap).

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...and therein lies the crux of male/female divide.

    Feck a hand clap, where's me tenner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry X, just choked, a tenner! you've got tickets on yourself. A bright shiny penny maybe.

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!