Tuesday, 16 December 2008

Analyze This

Add ImageI have a temper.

By which I mean I assume it is kicking around here somewhere, because I've certainly never lost it (or not before it gets out of reach anyway).

There is one person I know who is more laid back and less provokable than me. The husband.

I exaggerated a little when I said we've been together 14 years. It is actually 14 years gross. We have split up twice. I can't really remember why. But we managed to do it without arguing (though quite a lot of crying) and when we said we'd still be friends we actually meant it and remained friends for the 1 year and 3 months respectively that we weren't going out. (But we haven't split up for at least 10 years and certainly don't anticipate doing it again).

Women's Magazines all advise that to have a truly passionate honest relationship you need to scream and shout at each other. Bollocks. We never end up slamming doors, not speaking, or running off and shagging the neighbour. Although I do sometimes get a little grumpy.

There is nothing we don't discuss, and we talk a lot. We've discussed babies, and lack of the aforementioned. But never with an arbitor. I know the husband wants children, but I know a lot of that desire is because I want them. Left to his own devises, I doubt he would have got there quite yet.

So I'm intrigued by what Thursday's counselling session will throw up.

Will we get deep, incisive questions that penetrate into the very heart of why we want children and strategies to cope and help each other if it doesn't happen for years (if ever)?

Will it be the fluffy insubstantial, spouting of platitudes that makes me want to say something a bit controversial and risky just to provoke a reaction?

Will it unleash some hither-to unseen anger that has both of us cursing the unfairness of our situation, and spitting out the names of fertile friends with fury?

I just hope she doesn't start with the classic: Tell me about your mother...


10 comments:

  1. I'll be interested too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bring it on, my little guinea pigs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shite I wish I never needed to spit the dummy, you guys are soo lucky. Hope the session goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    Sarah

    http://www.thetreadmillguide.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers, Lea

    Of course I am only doing this for research purposes, Xbox

    PiB, Lucky or repressed? We'll see

    Sarah, Thanks for the sentiment although it is eerily similar to a comment you left on an earlier post - 'By Appointment'. So go on prove you aren't a robot and write something else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are very brave to venture into infertility counselling - it's not something that I could do.

    Hope everything goes alright on Thursday - looking forward to reading about the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just a quickie to let you know that I have tagged you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the appointment - I hope you find the experience useful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting. Do share when you can. :)

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!