Sunday, 14 September 2008

One step forward, two steps back

I was wrong. I was arrogant and patronising at the same time. Arrogant to think I could hood-wink the National Health Service, patronising to assume that the 60 year old NHS wouldn't be organised enough to figure out that I was scheduled for back to back appointments.

To be fair there has been some history. I've turned up for a scan where the doctor knows I'm booked in, and the notes are on her sheet, and she still can't figure out why I am there ... even when I tell her.

And,
I've worked for the NHS in the past. For two summers whilst at University I was on a project to computerised children's health records. It sounds like an urban myth but the office I worked in really did have this poster:

I've hated comic sans ever since.

And unnecessary exclamation marks.

The job dispelled any confidence I had in the health service. Amongst the health records we had to sift through I found:
  • Kids records filed in two places despite having the same name, parents name, address and date of birth as each other
  • Records that had been combined because kids had the same surname, nothing else in common with each other, but the same surname
  • A chocolate wrapper
  • Mouse droppings.
But on Friday I got a letter telling me my ovulation appointment has been postponed from 25 September to 23 October. No explanation, nothing.

So I called and it turns out they had figured out that I had the hysteroscopy booked. And it makes sense, I had a chat with the nurse and she said until they had the results of the hysteroscopy they couldn't prescribe anything anyway. Which is fair enough. And hey what's a month between friends?

I also brought up the concern about the never-ending cycle:
Me: Also, the first day of my cycle was 81 days ago
Her: Right
Me: Will that be OK for when I have the hysteroscopy? Only I was put on provera before
Her (slowly): I can see you notes here. You were put on provera because you needed to bleed before the HSG. This. is. a. different. procedure
Me: I know but is it going to be a problem if my womb lining is exceptionally thick or something?
Her: No, I don't think so
Me: And what if I suddenly get my period just when I am going to have the hysteroscopy?
Her: That's not a problem ... as long as its not too heavy.
Me: It often is quite heavy.
Her: Don't worry about it.
Me: OK. So I should just carry on? Should I let you know if I still haven't started after say 100 days? I mean is that likely to be a problem?
Her: I'm not a doctor I'm not sure.
(A pregnant pause)
Me (sweetly): Do you think you could ask a doctor?
Her: One moment ... No its not a problem

So that has filled me with bucket loads of confidence.

***********
Now don't say I don't do anything for you.

If you want a whopping 6.5% (I know, more than 5 less than 10) discount on home ovulation tests, or pregnancy tests, or thermometers then use the code AD during September at this site:


www.buyclearblue.co.uk

But, because I am unbiased and, quite frankly not getting paid anything for promoting these sites you might get better value, particularly my north American friends, from this Canadian based place:

www.saveontests.com

And if any companies are looking in a want me to test any of their pee-sticks send them my way, I am totally open to bribery.



11 comments:

  1. Dont you just love when the medical professionals fill you with tons of hope? And make you feel SO confident? Jerks.

    Well, I hope Flo visits soon. One less thing for you to think about. (I can safely say I feel almost bad about wishing for Flo to visit you. But I know you need it)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry that the long-awaited 'super-ovulation' appointment has had to be postponed, but glad to hear that the NHS do at least appear to have all your notes in the same file!

    I hope that all goes well with the hysteroscopy later on in the month, and that AF makes her appearance in due course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a shame your plan was scuppered but I suppose it's best that they do things right with all the information.

    Would be torture to have to re-do something or get set back a few more months.

    I'm totally with you on how much these people can fail to fill you with confidence.

    Do you ever wonder if you know more about IF and it's treatments than a lot of the professionals?

    I certainly do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for the delay , Pity they get it right when you don't want them too.
    There were one -two nurses at my IVF clinic like that 'clueless' and 'careless' , some couldn't care less if the procedure we are sweating on is stuffed up because they fail to inform us properly.
    Best of everything of the hysteroscopy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that just sucks. And nothing like dealing with a clueless person too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, uh, what did she say after she consulted the doctor?? What a nut!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That EFFING sucks honey. I would ask the doctor to his/her face next time you see them. The nurses often don't quite say what they would say.

    Every single doctor I've had has said it's not healthy to go that long without a period. I'll come over there and kick their asses if you'd like. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How frustrating!!!! (thought you'd like the extra exclamations).

    I hope things start going your way soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a frustrating that your super ovulation has been postponed but at least it shows that the NHS do have some idea.

    Good luck with the hysteroscopy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarah, so much confidence, today I got a call about the hysteroscopy and the nurse out of my four letter surname managed to get two letters wrong!

    Heathen (Ms), cheers, same file wrong name (see above).

    Xbox, I don't know more than them, but i could definitely cut to the chase with the treatment quicker.

    Baby~a, I wish the nurses stayed the same long enough for me to give then nicknames, they are different every time. Still I guess it gives me a chance to tell them my tale ... again.

    Batty, sucks big time.

    Decade, She said it's not a problem, contradicting as long as its not too heavy. We'll see...

    Barb, It doesn't feel healthy going this long without a period, interesting your doctors agree. There's a space on my sofa should you be in town for arse kicking.

    Deborah, Oh Yes!!!!!!

    Secret D, I know crazy isn't it, they do know their arse from their elbow. Which is good considering their professions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yeah the heel dragging is mind boggling at times.

    It's like 'do you people not realise this is kind of a big deal!!!?'

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!