Sunday, 10 August 2008

Tagged

I've been tagged! Deborah at Waiting On Life has written 6 random things about herself and nominated me as one of the people to do the same and pass on to six others.

I am genuinely flattered to be tagged (look at me I'm a real blogger!) and chuffed that out of all those bloggettes she picked me. But I did um and ahh about doing it. Mainly because I want this blog to stick to the topic (except in exceptional circumstances) but also in nominating 6 other people I don't want to make them feel like they have to respond.

So I know I am probably breaking one of the ten cardinal rules of blogging but I'm going to just write one random thing about myself (which relates to fertility - though not mine so probably wouldn't come up anywhere else in my blog) and I will tag others but they are not to feel any obligation to respond if they don't want to.

So the random fact about myself:

My parents didn't know they were going to have me until 6 minutes before I was born.

Back in 1976 in Scotland scanning pregnants wasn't normal, it was only done in exceptional circumstances if they thought there was likely to be something wrong. (Actually scanning in non-pregnants in London in 2008 doesn't seem that common).

My mother was pregnant. She was big but not abnormally so. 'Big' as in one big baby, rather than 'red alert this isn't normal' big.

At 6.16am on the 14th of July out pops a beautiful, perfectly formed, and very tiny little girl, my twin, my womb-mate. But the heart beat they were monitoring was still inside. There was only one conclusion to be had, there's was one in there.

6 minutes later, at 6.22am, I made my appearance.

My Dad, who wasn't at the birth (real men waited in the pub), turned up to see his new child and got very confused when he was told there were two little girls. And my older sister (who was two at the time) was very put out when she met us, mainly because she had misheard and was convinced she was getting a pair of scissors.

So, the tag, should you wish to partake (I've tried to choose people who haven't done this one - although I haven't checked all your archives!):
Love Comes First
Lacking Expectations
Nuts In May
Reproductively Challenged

What You're Not Expecting When You're Trying to Expect
Secret Diary Of An Infertile (closed blog but you know who you are!)

-----
So the rules should you wish to follow them (or bastardise them like I have):

1. Link to the person who tagged you - did that at the start

2. Post the rules on your blog - here they are

3. Write 6 random things about yourself - or not, or just the one

4. Tag 6 people at the end of your post and link to them - hey, this one I did

5. Let each person you have tagged know by leaving a comment on their blog - I'll do that just now

6. Let the tagger know when your entry is posted. - then this.


7 comments:

  1. I think that's a great story and a a perfect random fact.

    I've never done the tag thing before, and I never thought of it as mandatory, but more of a just for fun thing. I am sorry if I put you in a uncomfortable position-I mean aren't we in enough of those already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be daft. You didn't put me in an uncomfortable position, just worried you'd take it personally if I changed the rules. But thank you for tagging me. I feel like I've made it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is UNREAL!

    The ultimate surprise guest

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats kind of funny. Especially about big sis thinking she was getting scissors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it - that happened to my friend's mum (also a twin B/G set)
    What a wonderful surprise you were no doubt.
    I love the scissors too !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Xbox, I like to think I was the ultimate!

    Batty nurse, I know my sis got the best punch line.

    Baby Amore, I've never heard of it happening to anyone else before. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe I forgot to tell you the story of my friend and her twin, born like me in 19umpty ump. Before Scans anyway.
    The midwife spoke to my friend's mum around maybe 30-35 weeks and said "you know, I'm really sorry to have to break the news, but you might be having twins". "I hope so" said my friend's mum "otherwise I'm having one baby with two heads and four limbs".

    ReplyDelete

I've resisted word verification for ages but I'm getting so many spam comments at the moment that I think it is time. Sorry!