Friday, 22 August 2008

National Health Service

Ah! The NHS, the good old National Health Service. Its like your Granny. (I say 'your', I've not met your Granny, I mean 'ones generic' Granny).

So where was I? Good old Gran NHS. She always been there for me. When I was two and managed to pour chip fat all over me she took me in, nursed and nurtured me and enabled me to recover without a scar. As I grew up she was always there to cure my ills, when I had a cough, measles, mumps, my first bout of thrush ... - happy, happy carefree days. She never asks for anything back, no money exchanges hands, she does it because she cares.

But she's getting old. (Ok I know at 60 she's more my Dad's age than a Granny's, but bear with me on this one). She is a bit more shabby 'round the edges, sagging a bit, can't move so fast, not really up to speed with new technologies and, to be frank, smells a bit of wee.

I know she has my best interests at heart and really would like to help. But she is also getting forgetful. She says that she'll call me back and I have to keep calling her and then she's forgotten why I've called in the first place. (I'm still chasing the scan that would "happen in a couple of weeks").

And she thinks she knows best and omits telling me things. So I got a letter today from the hospital, it was the write up from my appointment on the 31 of July. Three weeks ago.

Essentially, it was a letter to my doctor but they cc-d me in, which was nice! I mean normally she wouldn't write to me, obviously, but because as I specifically asked to see all correspondence she sent me copy a letter. Second class.

So the first bit was as discussed: "Looked at hysterosalpingogram report ... yada yada yada.. irregular uterine cavity .... discuss with my colleague Mr. S... whether we need to do a hysteroscopy".

But then this last sentence:

"We will then make final plans, for what probably will be intrauterine insemination with controlled super-ovulation".

WHAT?!*

The last appointment we discussed me going to the clinical nurses to "try and sort out my cycles." Brilliant, well up for that. But there was absolutely no mention of insemination.

I'm totally thrown. I don't know what to think.

I'm delighted that they are taking me seriously and are planning on helping but I am just shocked that I found out this was what they were planning through a letter.

To someone else.

Now far be it for me to teach my Grandmother to suck eggs, but I've had a chat with Dr. Google and it all seems a bit premature. I mean if the ovulation drugs don't work, by all means inject some spunk into my uterus but you'd have thought they would give the drugs a chance first.

I'm a bit all over the place now (as is my metaphor). I really don't want to seem ungrateful and I'm sure plenty of folk would give their left testicle for this kind of help (mostly 'cause their left testicle is entirely expendable as it isn't doing its job anyway) but it just seems a bit odd to get the next stage diagnosis this way. Doesn't it?

* The slightly random picture is a thank you to someone who gave me a lovely little present today which made me happy. I didn't think she read this but I now have a sneaking suspicion that she might have found me through the Ted Womo post and I wanted to say Thank You properly, and shhh... she knows who she is.



9 comments:

  1. Stuff like that wrecks my head.
    They don't do stuff they say they will and they are doing non-agreed stuff in the background.

    That's really what makes this so annoying, just adds to the frustration.
    But as you say, on the good side, they are taking you seriously, and I try to remind myself, 'a means to an end'.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, means to an end. And I really didn't want to sound complainy but its just a bit off to find out this way. Never mind super-ovulation here I come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not at all, you're entitled to be rightly miffed at it.
    I know I am every time they don't deliver what or when they say they will.

    Sounds cool though, 'SuperOvulation'!
    There's a T-shirt somewhere just waiting to happen...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, good old NHS. I also get a copy of all letters sent to my GP and as I am dealt with by 2 hospitals copies of communication between the two. But I've never, ever experienced finding out about treatment like that - it's poo!

    But good luck with 'super-ovulation'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI, lovn your blog. NHS does sound like a nightmare!Anther blogger told of how she had been ttc for 4 years and hadnt even got to clomid yet, so she took some from a friend unprecribed and got pg (not recommended, she was a nurse)!
    I had nightmare cycles too, (eg 90 days) and after a few cycles of provera I am somewhat normal cycled now(give or take a few days)It shocked me I didnt expect to get regular as a side effect just induce cycles. Good luck hope they you find what works for you.

    PAINT IT BLACK

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super Ovulation and Wonder Womb, forget the T-shirt, Xbox, I'm going straight for the comic, sorry, graphic novel (and trust me, it'll be graphic).

    NH, two hospitals must be a night mare I find two nurses bad enough.

    Thanks Anonymous, I didn't know provera could jump start cycles on a more permanent basis, good to know, I'm heading towards 80 days just now. It just feels like such a waste of time. Glad you like the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always good to be the last to know about matters concerning oneself. Super ovulation, sounds like injectables..might becoming friendly with your ovaries sooner rather than later. I am the whatever it takes kinda person, not that I won't bitch about it. I hope that this will turn into some positive moves for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all, I don't think that you are over-reacting. In fact, I can completely understand your frustation at the lack of communication: my consultant didn't think it worth his while to tell me that I had ovarian reserve issues - I only found out because he copied me in on a letter he'd sent to my GP.

    It's probably best not to get me started on the NHS - we have fallen victim to the postcode lottery big time, as our local PCT has suspended all assisted conception treatments because they've run out of money.

    Things like this just make an already stressful situation all the more difficult. I hope you get a follow-up appointment soon, and will have the chance to talk through some of your concerns with the doctor involved.

    ReplyDelete